Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long for computerized quilting? >

How long for computerized quilting?

How long for computerized quilting?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM

I just did this last November. I pay $25.00 per hour, and also had to take "lessons" (quite a bit more than you paid).

Here is a picture of my first quilt. It took just over 2 hours (on a Gammill). It's 65 x 75. I hope you can see the circles that was computerized quilted. My second quilt was a 114 x 129 and it took 5 1/2 hours, just to give you an idea.

I love love doing my own Long Arm, and highly recommend it for anyone who is remotely interested. You will be hooked.

BTW, I asked for "hours" on the machine for Christmas, and received 8 hours! I can't wait to go back!!

Forgot to mention, the "kit" I had to purchase is the zipper and pins so that I can prepare the quilt at home that will be attached to the long arm, so I don't have to use "hours" on the machine, there, to do it.

Hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]455233[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  

Last edited by Girlfriend; 01-06-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM

I'm really surprised that the rental shop doesn't have red snappers or leader grips already installed. It -almost- seems like a cash grab to force you to buy some other system that takes you longer to install... The leader grips (or Red Snappers) take no time at all, and are a one time install for them,.... just like a velcro or zipper system.

Both the LG and RS systems loosen up with time. The video from manquilter (Matt Sparrow) shows how to "Snap" them in a way that is a lot easier on my hands. http://manquilter.com/

Alikat, your side leaders sound similar to the ones that Sharon Schamber uses.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I do computer quilting here at home on my longarm, use redsnappers to load my tops, love them. It really depends on the size of my top to the design I am using to quilt. I have done one in a couple of hours and I also have had them take many hours. Taking their class will help you get an idea of the time involved setting up your design and stiching it out. Have fun!!!!!