Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What Pattern cams do I need? What can I substitute? >

What Pattern cams do I need? What can I substitute?

What Pattern cams do I need? What can I substitute?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Ethel,

Here's an ad for a machine that appears to be the same as yours which includes the cams:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/4531046400.html
You might save that picture while you search for cams in case the ad is taken down. That box of cams doesn't quite look like the pics of others that have been posted.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

John
Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbeat View Post
It's a pain trying to find the right cams. I wish the manufacturers had been more clear about which accessories go with which machines.
I'm about 80% sure I know which cams go with my Kenmore Model 84, but I'm going mainly on the shape and color of the box they come in, and that doesn't strike me as very reliable.
Also, for some reason the cams that I think are compatible seem to be really expensive on ebay when compared to cam sets for other machines.

I keep looking, but there's no way I'm spending $40 on some cams only to find out they are the wrong ones.
Then I look at the stitches that the cams can do, and wonder whether I really need them anyway.
I suppose I could relist them if they are wrong, but still.
James,

There's a yahoo group called OldKenmoreSewingMachines you can join (if you're not already a member). In their files section they have a (partial) list of which machines take which type of cams and then you can go to the photo section and search photos for "cams." The first result is an ID cams folder which has pictures of the different cam types for Kenmores.

I think this is yours:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenmore-Delu...item3ce23dc02a
$22 free shipping
or with buttonholer & feet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vint-Singer-...item5b01af194b
$20 plus shipping.
But doublecheck to make sure about them.

The box itself is not distinctive to just Kenmores, however. I have an orphan set of cams in an identical box that I'm pretty certain belong to a Morse, but the cams are multi-color.

Whether or not it's worth it to get the cams is another issue. For 30 years I used a Pfaff with a built in camstack for decorative stitches. Every few years I would clean the camstack and run through different stitches but I don't think I ever used them on a project. However, now that my obsession is in full swing I have a number of machines with cams (but am still deciding on what type of project to use them for).

John
Old 06-26-2014, 09:12 PM

John,

Thanks for the photo. If I were only closer to Sacramento, to at least go and see them. They do appear to have a hole for the peg in them. Now I know what to look for.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM

I just bought a dressmaker myself, and I believe the cams you have (with the slot in the top) would fit my machine-- would you be willing to sell them?

Best,

Kate
Old 10-19-2014, 06:38 PM

Kate,

You'll want to send a private message to the owner of the cams. We're not supposed to buy/sell on the boards and I wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

Good luck finding your cams.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Banned

If that Dressmaker is made in Taiwan, it's the first one I know of that these little cams don't fit.

Cari