Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Me Select a Quilt Pattern >

Help Me Select a Quilt Pattern

Help Me Select a Quilt Pattern

Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I think the first one would be a good pattern for your fabrics. Though I do like #3 the best. I'm a bright color gal too.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Of the 3 patterns you posted, I think the first one would work best for your fabrics. However, an easier pattern that would look very good with your low volume fabrics would be "bricks". If you scroll (it's a long scroll) down the following page until you get to the "value bricks" photo you can see an example here:
https://jacquietps.wordpress.com/page/5/

Here are directions for a brick pattern:
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...nd-blue-bricks

The above bricks are quite large (5" x 8.5"). Larger bricks make for less sewing, so go faster. However, you could also make the bricks smaller -- say, 4" x 7".

A fast way to make a brick quilt is to sew strips of bricks together into rows, line them up, then shorten the end brick on every other row to get the stagger effect. What is nice about the bricks pattern is that there is no matching of seams.

Of the 3 patterns you posted, the first would work; however, it can be a bit tricky to sew that many seams together, especially when sewing one column to the next column. Even though you don't need to match seams, there are many opportunities for the edges to stretch and distort while you are sewing. Bricks would be easier. The second pattern would work, but again would take longer to make. The third might work, but the original relies on a lot of contrast between the middle and edges. It will look considerably different with your fabrics, because you have very little contrast in value. I'm thinking it could still look good in low volume fabrics -- just different.

Edit: A jelly roll pattern would probably work really well too. There are lots of Youtube videos that show how to do a "jelly roll race" quilt. (The race part is optional!) The only tricky part of a jelly roll race is the proportions you end up with. Best to research that before starting.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-11-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:06 PM

Maybe you take a gander at Alex Anderson's book Neutral Essentials, check to see if your library or a friend has it.

https://www.amazon.com/Neutral-Essen.../dp/1571204180

My own personal epiphany that I got from Alex is to have white in there somewhere, it makes the quilt sparkle.

I'm sure there are other books out there, maybe even blogs that talk about how to "neutral".
Old 08-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

The person you are making the quilt for wants neutrals because that is what they like. Color could be added to the by colorful accessories.

I like the first pattern best.

Welcome to this board, lots of different opinions.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

I like the pattern Warm Wishes or Turning Twenty for all of those colors. However for the patterns you chose I like the first one best.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:06 AM

With the number of fabrics suggested, I like the first one best. Also there is suggestion of using the jelly roll race construction If your dimensions are "off", you can cut it lengthwise and put sashing strips in to make it wide enough. If this is to be neutral, I question the orange one in the fabrics pictured. Will look forward to seeing a picture when you have it done!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:18 AM

For the fabric you've chosen, I like the first pattern best. I think that would turn out well.

Watson
Old 08-12-2017, 05:00 PM

I agree that pattern 1 would look the best in your fabric selections!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:47 AM

Thank you all so much! I appreciate everyone's input. After looking up all the patterns, I am going with the first one. I was leaning towards that one, and it got more votes. I do really like the HST that DJ sent. I want to keep it modern and neutral as that is what they wanted. I hope I can do that. I will send pics when I am done. Thanks again to everyone. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's opinions.
Have a great Sunday!
LaDonna
Old 08-13-2017, 05:29 AM

I like the first pattern best also for your colors. However, I would like to know where you got the third pattern from. I found something very similar (if not the same) on the web a month or so ago & liked it & now I can't find it again. I thought I saved it in my favorites but I don't guess I did. Thanks!