Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Ok, so I tried some bobbin work on a scrap today using the metallic DMC thread and I like the look a lot...however, the thread is a pain in the tush to pull to the back. Donna, what size needle are you using? I am using the largest needle I have and it takes me forever to get it threaded to push through the back...I am twisting it into a loop for easier threading...but still not easy..I think I need a bigger eye for the needle, but would like to know what you are using.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I know I don't always "see" the picture right, but when you are doing bobbin work...you don't thread the needle with the thicker thread...right??? You use the thick thread in the bobbin and then regular thread in the needle...right??? I must be confused
Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM

HI, there. I think she is talking about the tails that are on the "top" when you're finished stitching. You need to thread them into a needle & pull to the back to tie off.

I use a GIANT-eyed needle that has a sharp point. I think it came in an assortment of needles for crafts. I remember there were 2 curved needles & several large ones, including one for leather. I fold the thread over the eye of the needle & then slide the eye over the little bundle of looped threads.

Edit - I see we are still #2!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Oh....see...told you that I didn't always see the picture right. I forgot about "those" tails!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
HI, there. I think she is talking about the tails that are on the "top" when you're finished stitching. You need to thread them into a needle & pull to the back to tie off.

I use a GIANT-eyed needle that has a sharp point. I think it came in an assortment of needles for crafts. I remember there were 2 curved needles & several large ones, including one for leather. I fold the thread over the eye of the needle & then slide the eye over the little bundle of looped threads.

Edit - I see we are still #2!
Kathy, yes, the tails are what I am talking about...sorry about net being clear.

Well, the needle I Was using has what I consider a giant eye, and I was folding the thread over, but still seems like an even more giant eye would work faster...lol...I guess I need to go check out giant needles, lol. I really don't know that much abiut needles and their uses but I am going to take my needle and look for one with a bigger eye.

Thanks Kathy.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I know I don't always "see" the picture right, but when you are doing bobbin work...you don't thread the needle with the thicker thread...right??? You use the thick thread in the bobbin and then regular thread in the needle...right??? I must be confused
LOL..Pat, I am really good at confusing people, mainly because I am often confused too. :mrgreen: Just reread my post, and I realized never once did I mention tails...please execuse my overactive brain :roll:
Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 PM

Thanks so much for all of the responses to the enlarging of the patterns. The only thing I could think of was trying to get two of them to print,fit them together and then tape them. I'll try again with just printing half of one and if I have too much trouble, then I will have them copied onto larger paper. The local copy store is 32 miles one way.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 PM

Forgot to mention that I ordered the Karen Kay Buckley applique video for Mother's Day and today I went to a quilt store to get more batiks. The quilt store has the best selection of batiks in our area, but it is a 3hr drive one way. I should be ready to start soon.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:01 PM

I love the finished product when you use razzle dazzle in your bobbin, but I would find it too difficult to try and thread a needle with invisable thread.

think the name of the needle you need is a Crewel needle
Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 AM

Hi Candi, I have a home repair needle set, and the tapestry needle with a sharp point is the one I use, it has a fairly large eye, sometimes I have to split the DMC and put through one strand at a time (there are only two strands on the DMC that I am using), sometimes I also have to use the "clover hole punch" being careful not to break the threads, just enough to open the threads in order to pull the tails to the back. I hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails attachment-195289.jpe