Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Roxanne posted a thread here on the board that gives a link for appliqueing a heart shape that you all might find useful:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-103014-1.htm

I don't use a straw needle, as I find them too long for me, I use a quilting (no 11) needle, and I still manage to bend them. Also, I use a regular machine thread in the needle, but you will all find what will work best for you - at least it will be nice for you to watch a video, rather than trying to follow my pics.
that quote was from pg 54.....DANG! I'm so slow to catch up!! I have read the last few pages too so - maybe not so bad... but a few words to add here - I actually use the method in that tute - although I had never heard of her before. I mark both background and applique pieces with clover blue water-dissolvable marker. I either pin or baste or combo down after trimming pieces to 1/4" seam. I clip when I get to the inner curve or inner point never before. I'll try to show pics of some points I've done when I find computer thingy...
:roll:

someone asked about thread - I love silk YLI - but it is really slippery and can come out of needle - I like to use DMC or aurifil ...except for huge color choices I recently have started to use masterpiece thread on the donut!! yep great tip from quilter David Taylor who I took a class from last year. And the donut with 36 colors is on sale for $28.80 @ Connecting threads!
http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...s__D21051.HTML
I think I paid closer to $40 at a show for it.

Also if you are interested - David Taylor's link - he is amazing!!

http://www.davidtaylorquilts.com

have fun!
Monica
Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Jacquie -
I dont know if it has been asked before ?? is your avatar from AOTH? it looks very similar and did you make it?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I feel so far behind. I have my book and fabric but I haven't washed any of my fabrics or tried to hand applique. I am still involved on another project and I can only spare the time for 1 project and then move on to the next. I hate to leave things unfinished and rarely do. I hope this quilt starts to go smoother so I can finish it.
Losie, Losie [I'm on pg 55 ...ugh] does this mean you have no UFOs and we have to start throwing tomatoes?? :hunf: :lol:
Old 05-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

You are right Monica...David Taylor is fab,fab, fabulous! Wish I could take a class from him...wow, that would be so much fun!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I just couldn't wait....so I hand embroidered the block last night. Mixed review for me- I love the look and it IS possible to just sit and sew with a hand needle (cross stitch needle) but you need to cut and use just short lengths at a time.

Anyway...here is the block...
On page 80 now!!! wow read 30pgs so far in addition to cleaning :thumbdown: Patti ...did I see it correctly - you hand embroidered with the razzle dazzle?? Block is amazing [watch I'm gonna go back and see I already commented :roll: ]
Old 05-22-2011, 02:51 AM

Everyone is sleeping, so taking this minute to let you know how I made my life simplier with freezer paper, after the first 15 blocks, which I traced...finally figured out that I could.....Copy each page using my scanner, saved it to my computer - then printed that page onto the dull side of freezer paper, and pressed the batik onto the shiny side - that way I didn't have to trace. The pieces were perfect - more than I can say about my appliqueing...LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Everyone is sleeping, so taking this minute to let you know how I made my life simplier with freezer paper, after the first 15 blocks, which I traced...finally figured out that I could.....Copy each page using my scanner, saved it to my computer - then printed that page onto the dull side of freezer paper, and pressed the batik onto the shiny side - that way I didn't have to trace. The pieces were perfect - more than I can say about my appliqueing...LOL
I keep going back and forth between methods - but for the past few months I have settled on this - I found that if I trace pattern both on the background and on my applique pieces with a clover disappearing ink pen [the one you wash away] and then work closely with my straw needle turning under with right hand and pinching with left thumb it works quite well. If you use the starch method - you need the freezer paper. I've found that if I trace on the paper or work with that paper edge - the applique piece becomes just a little larger. This isnt a problem with few pieces that are large anyway, but when dealing with tiny pieces it doesnt work for me.

I think it's been Lesley who continues to stress how important that left thumb is [for rightys]
Monica

I need an avatar... :(
Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I think you are right Monica! And you DO need an avatar..what about a completed AOTH block?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
Losie, Losie [I'm on pg 55 ...ugh
does this mean you have no UFOs and we have to start throwing tomatoes?? :hunf: :lol:
I do have UFOs and they really bug me. I am making a quilt for my DGS right now and our Woman's Club sews clothes for bears and dolls over the summer to give to The Salvation Army for Christmas. We dress 84 bears and 100 dolls. I will be sewing on those, AOTH, my great grandson's quilt, and another UFO quilt this summer. I joined the UFO group on the board and so far I have completed 2 of those. Please save the tomatoes for your salad; I'm hiding behind the bins that are full of UFO's :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 05-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr

someone asked about thread - I love silk YLI - but it is really slippery and can come out of needle - I like to use DMC or aurifil ...except for huge color choices I recently have started to use masterpiece thread on the donut!! yep great tip from quilter David Taylor who I took a class from last year. And the donut with 36 colors is on sale for $28.80 @ Connecting threads!
[url=http://www.connectingthreads.com/Tools/MasterPiece_Frosted_Donut_Prewound_Bobbins__D21051 .HTML
http://www.connectingthreads.com/Tools/MasterPiece_Frosted_Donut_Prewound_Bobbins__D21051 .HTML[/url]
I think I paid closer to $40 at a show for it.

have fun!
Monica
I went to CT and ordered the masterpiece thread on the donut. Thanks for the tip!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: