Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
We could all send in pics and have my daughter morph them together :) she's added people to missing events before [and taken a few out :lol:
I've not been at my best mousie self in the past year, sounds good, if you hide me in the middle :lol:
Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Please don't ask me where I've been, but I just found this original post, and I just ordered the book. I love applique so am very excited to start this project.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judyyoungs
Please don't ask me where I've been, but I just found this original post, and I just ordered the book. I love applique so am very excited to start this project.
that's alright. They started talking about this at the end of January and I guess about a month ago i stumbled into the conversation and said, "What's an AOTH?" and it's went from there.
I hadn't even been drinking, lol! :XD:
I guess you'll be #86 judy! woo hoo! welcome aboard! :D
Old 05-23-2011, 01:11 PM

A question for the ones doing hand embroidery. I assume that you are embroidering after you get the applique finished. Do you use a hoop or will this distort the applique?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Woo Hoo 85 is a wonderful number,maybe 86 now????

I was working on two of the blocks today before work, and I am getting a bit annoyed with myslef...I think I have very high expectations of my limited skills, although I am very much enjoying the process of choosing fabrics, cutting, preparing and appliquing, and I am mildly enjoying the bobbin work, I am unable to look at my block and be satisfied...my hubby says I am looking too close and need to look at the big picture..I am sure he is right, he normally tells me if he thinks I should redo things..but dang it, I just want to be happy with the blocks. It is my first time doing this level of applique and first time doing bobbin work..any words of wisdom or encouragment from all of you talented people? I guess I just need to look at this quilt as a joyful learning experience and just hide it when it is done,lol.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by candi

I was working on two of the blocks today before work, and I am getting a bit annoyed with myslef...I think I have very high expectations of my limited skills, although I am very much enjoying the process of choosing fabrics, cutting, preparing and appliquing, and I am mildly enjoying the bobbin work, I am unable to look at my block and be satisfied...my hubby says I am looking too close and need to look at the big picture..I am sure he is right, he normally tells me if he thinks I should redo things..but dang it, I just want to be happy with the blocks. It is my first time doing this level of applique and first time doing bobbin work..any words of wisdom or encouragment from all of you talented people? I guess I just need to look at this quilt as a joyful learning experience and just hide it when it is done,lol.
well, I sure hope I don't want to hide my quilt when it is done, but it's been so long since I hand embroidered more than a few inches on something, and I have never done needle turn.
I chose doing mine on machine bc of my fibromyalgia...or I would NEVER get finished.
I'll probably not feel like "all that" about each individual block, bc I am harder on myself than on others, but I am honest.
It's the way we look at things. I really don't see...don't hone right in, on other ppl's work, inspecting and scouring for crooked lines or blunt points etc.
I look at the whole block and see the colors, the combination, think about the hard work...I can pick up something of mine, and immediately go, "Oh no! What are ppl going to think when they see that?"
I think it's a quilter thing. We have two perspectives...kinder to others than we are to ourselves, but I will say, it is that attitude that makes us keep trying harder to do better...and eventually - we do! :XD:
Old 05-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Toomany...don't use a hoop, it will stretch your fabric. You can just hold it in your hand (I roll mine up) It will be fine.

candi...I'm not happy with all mine either, never am. I wasn't with my Jane quilt either. I'll tell you though. You put those finished blocks aside and keep moving forward. When you get to a point (like having enough done to do your center), lay them all out and you won't think they look so bad...really, it works! In fact...with Jane, I couldn't even pick out the ones that I wanted to do over..and I didn't do any of them over. They will tell a story of your improvement from the start of the quilt to the finish as well. Just think...all that character for your quilt!!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Nope! 87!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Sandpat, Thanks for the reply. I won't use a hoop. It is great having ones questions answered so fast.

Candi, I am scared to death to start my blocks. I pick everything apart just like you described. I am working on a quilt that is impossible to do perfect. It has taught me that I can only do my best and as long as it is truly my best I will be happy with it. I want to start enjoying quilting and start finishing projects, not worrying all the time about points, matching intersections,etc. Those things need to be done good, but not at the expense of not enjoying my hobby.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Well put toomany!