Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Two of the best things I did in my sewing room was take out the ironing board and the cutting table and replace them with dressers. The cutting table dresser is already the right height, I just added a plywood top to make it big enough. The ironing dresser was long enough and wide enough for my big board top but it wasn't quite tall enough so I had my son build a riser out of MDF and a square fence post cut into 4 inch sections at the lumber yard. Both of these increased my storage tremendously.
Please post a pic so that we can see what this looks like.
I can do it tomorrow. I have to get buttons sewn on to a couple of quilts for show and tell tonight.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Two of the best things I did in my sewing room was take out the ironing board and the cutting table and replace them with dressers. The cutting table dresser is already the right height, I just added a plywood top to make it big enough. The ironing dresser was long enough and wide enough for my big board top but it wasn't quite tall enough so I had my son build a riser out of MDF and a square fence post cut into 4 inch sections at the lumber yard. Both of these increased my storage tremendously.
I can do it tomorrow. I have to get buttons sewn on to a couple of quilts for show and tell tonight.
Yeah, I can't wait to see your set up.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Been searching online for ideas and thought I would asked everyone here what they thought. I am redoing a bedroom into my sewing room. I am wanting a large cutting area. I have looked at the folding craft tables you find at Joanns and Hancocks. Thoses seem quite flimsy for the price. My question is, has anyone ever taken a kitchen cart and put a larger top for a cutting table? I really would like one that has wheels that can be easily moved. I have a hubby that is handy with wood working so alterations are not a huge problem. So any ideas out there? Thanks, you guys are the best :wink:
Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM
pal

I would think it would work if you put an extra leg under the section where you will be leaning when you use the rotary cutter. Sounds like a great idea. I use an old kitchen table
that folds down. When I pull it up to cut on, I have to use the extra leg to hold up the flap.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by jackkip
Been searching online for ideas and thought I would asked everyone here what they thought. I am redoing a bedroom into my sewing room. I am wanting a large cutting area. I have looked at the folding craft tables you find at Joanns and Hancocks. Thoses seem quite flimsy for the price. My question is, has anyone ever taken a kitchen cart and put a larger top for a cutting table? I really would like one that has wheels that can be easily moved. I have a hubby that is handy with wood working so alterations are not a huge problem. So any ideas out there? Thanks, you guys are the best :wink:

Are you talking about a cart or a movable kitchen island? I don't known if the cart would be strong enough but I think an island would work great. I would have DH put locking casters on it so it doesn't roll when in use.
My cutting table is a set of water bed drawers from a king size water-bed. My husband stacked and reinforced them. He then made a top from MDF board. He sanded the corners round, put a finish on it and put some strips of wood on the underside that set into the top of the drawer unit so it stays put. It's not only a large cutting surface it has 12 drawers in it. I love it!!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 PM

I am talking movable island. There are some really nice looking ones out there. But I have also seen people put Kitchen cabinets together and put wheels on it. The drawers from the water bed sounds good too. Just trying to find the right idea. Here is a picture of one I found, but it is quite pricey.

Needs a large top for cutting and it would be perfect
[ATTACH=CONFIG]105401[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-105396.bmp  
Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by jackkip
I am talking movable island. There are some really nice looking ones out there. But I have also seen people put Kitchen cabinets together and put wheels on it. The drawers from the water bed sounds good too. Just trying to find the right idea. Here is a picture of one I found, but it is quite pricey.
That looks like a nice one but surf the net and you will find what you are looking for at a price you like. Try craigs list.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:28 PM

At the moment I am using a 6 foot table for my sewing table. I am going to replace it with 2 file cabinets and have DH make a table top like the one he made for my cutting table.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I can't wait to see your set up.
I finally had a chance to get a pic taken of my ironing center. I can put all kinds of stuff away in this dresser. The space the riser creates between the top of the dresser and the ironing board is a nice space to keep several things handy without taking up space in the drawers or on top of the ironing board.

ironing center
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99535[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99530.jpe  
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Scissor Queen, your ironing table is just such a great idea. Tell your son he did a awesome job too. Be sure and compliment him and he will be so glad to do more for you. Thanks for the pics.