Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 PM

SUPER IDEA I LEARN A LOT FROM ALL THESE TALENTED PEOPLE ON THIS SIGHT. I AM NOW TRYING TO ORGANIZE MY FABRIC WITH A IDEA FROM A LADY IN ALASKA. SO I WILL BE WAITING FOR MORE SUGGESTIONS.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 PM

if you have yards of fabric to store and want to see some of it - cut the bolt "paper" insert in half, fold fabric in half - rewind onto the the half bolt insert. Much easier to store in that size
Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Bev

[quote/] Then to keep them free of dust I got some light weight clear vinyl and 2 tension rods and used white duck tape to make a casing and now I can see what I have. I will try to post pic?[/quote]

I love your idea with the clear vinyl. tell me how you worked the duct tape so that the sticky side of it didn't stick onto your vinyl. It looks like you gathered it ... but how?

8-)
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 PM

What a great idea. I have been trying to figure out how to better utilize my space in a double closet that has folding doors on it, and also what is the best to put on a design wall, batting, or flannel!

I am using a bedroom, and had a cabinet built around a big window with a lowered desk top so my sewing machine is at the right height for me. It has shelves and drawers but I am not using them right. They are full of old magazines that I need to get rid of because they are before the time of rotary cutters and rulers. I have a hard time letting lose of stuff.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 PM

Hi! I just enclosed a 3 car carport into a craft/quilting room and looked at ideas on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yoursewingroom/
Folks post pictures of their rooms and ideas for storage etc.
Great place for ideas!!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by mshawii
What a great idea. I have been trying to figure out how to better utilize my space in a double closet that has folding doors on it, and also what is the best to put on a design wall, batting, or flannel!

I am using a bedroom, and had a cabinet built around a big window with a lowered desk top so my sewing machine is at the right height for me. It has shelves and drawers but I am not using them right. They are full of old magazines that I need to get rid of because they are before the time of rotary cutters and rulers. I have a hard time letting lose of stuff.
Usually, at least where I live, the thrift stores will take the old quilting mags. That is unless you know someone else who wants them. I'm getting rid of all of my old ones from before rotary cutters too. That'll get rid of a load of them for me.

8-)
Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
[quote/] Then to keep them free of dust I got some light weight clear vinyl and 2 tension rods and used white duck tape to make a casing and now I can see what I have. I will try to post pic?
I love your idea with the clear vinyl. tell me how you worked the duct tape so that the sticky side of it didn't stick onto your vinyl. It looks like you gathered it ... but how?

8-)[/quote]

Bev
I cut the vinyl the length that I needed and laid it out on a flat surface folded down at the top enough for rod to fit through about 2in and then taped across the fold catching half of the fold and half of the curtain. The gathering comes when you sheer it on the rod.. WMart has this vinyl for .99 a yd
Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM

great idea...
Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM

winner of an idea, i am always searching, and that lady that has the big info panel on folding fabric, useing the craft foam, is a real winner
Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM

Here is how I handled the "no nails" restriction: I bought lumber tall enough to go from ceiling to floor (2 pieces for each side of my small closet. I marked these boards with a line and nailed in quarter rounds with the flat side up. Next, I cut shorter boards that would just fit inside the space created by the long boards. When the long boards were stood up and the shorter boards were slid in and onto the quarteer rounds, there was/is no way these will fall down. When I move, all I have to do is pull the short boards out and take out the long boards. No nails.