Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM

Carol, what an inovative idea to use the white duct tape in the manner you did. How clever. It looks very nice and I would assume is very functional.

This site is going to get better and better isn't it? :-D :-D
Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by alica1367
I think I saw that spool cabinet on connecting threads as a kit.
After hubby went through making it with his own diagram, I also saw where one could buy the directions for a cabinet.........
but I kinda like this one, it's all mine from hubby.......lololol
Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Since I'm not concerned about light in my sewing room (it's in the dungeon of my basement - no light penetrates!!) I store all my fabric in open "crates." They are the adjustable vinyl sided "boxes" that can be built to any height/width, etc. I use my 6" wide ruler to fold my fabric. It's just like using the cardboard bolts at the fabric stores. But after I fold it, I pull out my ruler and then fold them in half the other way. Two rows fit perfectly in each shelf. I also just love looking at my wall of color.

One other idea I use is under the bed shoe storage containers. Got them at Hancock Fabric. They hold "tons" of fabric!

Wall of Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108487[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108482.jpe  
Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM

That's wonderful! I love to get everyone's ideas!

Originally Posted by miholmes
WOWSERS! Those Admins are super fast!! THANK YOU! Looks like we have our own virtual section! :)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1021

:)
:thumbup:
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM

Fabulous idea, Michael! Sew (mis-use intended) obvious, but none of us had thought of it, or at least not acted on it.

As I have neither a dedicated room nor an Ikea nearby, I'm always looking for inexpensive solutions to my space-eating hobby!

Thanks so much for suggesting it, and for getting it going! I'm hopping over there right now!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM

I have a small room that is my sewing room.. I have a small 12x20 building that was my beauty shop /guest house that I converted into my quilting studio/ sewing/ hide-a-away from the world. With my laptop PC I can go any where and stay in touch. Sending more pic of storage ideas.

Sewing area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108494[/ATTACH]

sewing area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108495[/ATTACH]

more storage ideas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108496[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108489.jpe   attachment-108490.jpe   attachment-108491.jpe  
Old 08-31-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by barbgooch
Since I'm not concerned about light in my sewing room (it's in the dungeon of my basement - no light penetrates!!) I store all my fabric in open "crates." They are the adjustable vinyl sided "boxes" that can be built to any height/width, etc. I use my 6" wide ruler to fold my fabric. It's just like using the cardboard bolts at the fabric stores. But after I fold it, I pull out my ruler and then fold them in half the other way. Two rows fit perfectly in each shelf. I also just love looking at my wall of color.

One other idea I use is under the bed shoe storage containers. Got them at Hancock Fabric. They hold "tons" of fabric!
That’s just how I fold my fabric too. No need to use boards unless you want a vertical look. I still have more fabric to get folded. Maybe this will motivate me some
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM

It's a great idea. I, for one, only having a sewing 'space' but i am always thinking of ways to make it more efficient and easier to work in.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:06 PM
JT

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Originally Posted by alica1367
I think I saw that spool cabinet on connecting threads as a kit.
After hubby went through making it with his own diagram, I also saw where one could buy the directions for a cabinet.........
but I kinda like this one, it's all mine from hubby.......lololol
We redid my sewing room this spring. I had seen the one in connecting thread and took an old medicine cabinet, took out the mirror and had glass cut to replace, added a few more shelves and made it into my thread cabinet. I like it much better than on a peg board that I had before.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Here is the link to using the food containers that you never thought about. I love this idea.

http://stashmanicure.blogspot.com/20...our-stash.html
I have used containers and stuffed them with 1 1/2 stips and gifted them to my neices.