Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
*Paint Chip Challenge* from our quilt club >

*Paint Chip Challenge* from our quilt club

*Paint Chip Challenge* from our quilt club

Old 10-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

You've all done a great job!

What a novel way to choose the paint chip colours. Til your post, I figured the group leader just gave you some chips and you had no choice!

Someone had posted the other day re the PCC they were working on too.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Thanks for sharing this!! It must have been so fun!! Great job on your posies!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the compliments.... it really was a riot for the club.

Sparky's Mom...
Yep...there are MANY colors on that awesome link, but you need the *in hand* paint chip to cut up and apply to your quilt if you follow the standard rules...but again.. the sky is the limit..it's what you/your group decides to do.

QuiltE..
I've heard of some groups *handing out* colors too. These are just the rules we found and used (from another quilt club). I did add a couple extra twists for funzies.

We had SOOO MUCH FUN doing this that we declared it an annual event from now on. Next year.. I'm just cutting up colors and dropping them into a bag so the color selections will be drawn completely random. The year after that I'm going to let the members only draw ONE COLOR and we will have to do a monochromatic mini-quilt. I really think the sky is the limit. I'm always thinking ahead.

I've rec'd a bunch of PM interest on the rules we used so I'm going to post them in here. ENJOY!

PAINT CHIP CHALLENGE RULES

Select paint chip colors that start with your initials. Paint chips are found at hardware, stores, paint stores and big box stores like Wal-Mart...etc.

↓ EXAMPLE ↓

Quilter's NAME= Anna Beth Carter (ABC)

Paint Chip Names = Amazing Sunrise (A)
Butter Pecan Beige (B)
Creamy Dreamy Dancer (C)

The challenge is to use fabrics that are as TRUE to the paint chip colors as possible.

The 2-3 paint chip colors have to make up 75% of the quilt.

The paint chips MUST somehow be displayed ON the quilt in a creative manner. You can make them removable, but in the spirit of the original challenge the paint chips MUST BE CONNECTED to the project. This step helps to see just HOW CLOSE people stayed to their paint chip colors.

Maximum quilt size is 9” x 12”.

Completed - as in DONE...= final bindings on and paint chips creatively attached. The paint chips can be trimmed into a decorative shape as long as the printed chip color name shows.

The idea of this challenge is to have FUN. NOOO STRESSING! There is no right or wrong. Try to stretch outside of your comfort zone.

ALSO - Our group declared that ALL PROJECTS be kept secret from each other until our reveal day. That made it much more fun as we were all totally SURPRISED at what had been created.

PS- Paint chip names must remain ON the paint chip samples used on the projects. You can remove the chips after the “class reveal” if you’d like.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 AM

Love your posies! :D
Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks for sharing, sounds like you all had fun,and thats what it is all about.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Highmtn
Quilter's NAME= Anna Beth Carter (ABC)

Paint Chip Names = Amazing Sunrise (A)
Butter Pecan Beige (B)
Creamy Dreamy Dancer (C)
Thanks for the further info and ideas! I think this would be a fun challenge.

However, it gets me thinking about an Ambitious AnnaBethCarter, who could go out in search of the colours she wants to match her fabric! Some of the paint names today are so"not" the colour you might think they are ... and with the way the names are AnnaBeth could keep looking til she finds a wonky name with the colour she wants/needs!

I think your plans for next year's challenge is "fairer" to all, as they can't control the challenge. Of course, some will luck out on perfect colours! Others might be a nightmare.

Your monochromatic idea is great ... I've been thinking of doing some as stash busters!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Great challenge
Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Highmtn
Thanks for the compliments.... it really was a riot for the club.

Sparky's Mom...
Yep...there are MANY colors on that awesome link, but you need the *in hand* paint chip to cut up and apply to your quilt if you follow the standard rules...but again.. the sky is the limit..it's what you/your group decides to do.
Agreed! But I wasn't able to go to the paint store and I was interested to see what kinds of colors would fit my own initials of PAS - the crayola chart served nicely. If you did crayola colors, you could make a little quilt with pockets for crayons, enough for a box but just include your colors for the display. Later, the remainder of the crayons could be added, the "quilt" folded and tied and gifted to some lucky kid. I'm thinking on the fly here. :lol:
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Agreed! But I wasn't able to go to the paint store and I was interested to see what kinds of colors would fit my own initials of PAS - the crayola chart served nicely. If you did crayola colors, you could make a little quilt with pockets for crayons, enough for a box but just include your colors for the display. Later, the remainder of the crayons could be added, the "quilt" folded and tied and gifted to some lucky kid. I'm thinking on the fly here. :lol:
Good idea!
Plus it would standardize what each participant had to work with. Though there's no K, Q, X and Z if you were doing the name game

Plus, a lot of guilds and quilting groups have a charity project each year, so this spin would do double duty!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 AM

I love your poseys. It is a great idea.