Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any one here use "the pounce" >

Any one here use "the pounce"

Any one here use "the pounce"

Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Have it.... tried it....made a big mess..... its in a drawer somewhere.....
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I think that "sprayed comment" meant with hair spray. it does help the chaulk stay in place and not go away with handling while quilting. I've not done that yet myself. of course, it washes out too. i would not spray chaulk that irons off though!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 AM

The pounce I use Quilt Pounce by Hancy. It looks like a stamp pad, and when it is not being used, it stores in its own box. When I am done quilting, I remove the marks gently with a battery operated tooth brush (with soft bristles) from the dollar store. The mess is kept to a minimum if you just wipe the pounce lightly over the stencil design.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Just remember to 'rub' vs 'pounce'...at least that's what I've read. I've never used mine.
That's right - it really named incorrectly. You just gently wipe it over the stencils. You should use the stencils made for the Pounce for it to be the most effective. They are fabric-like , so the powder won't built up along the edges of a stencil like it would if you were using a traditional plastic stencil.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 AM

I was going to get Pounce, one white and one blue. I researched and asked questions and then decided that I have a concern about the chalk getting into my sewing machine, chalk being very abrasive, etc., so I just use soap slivers instead. I have both a large quantity of soap slivers and the time it takes to draw all the lines.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

getting into machine..... maybe. that is one reason i no longer use the Insul-bright. i got silver slivers in my machine. I wish they would make products with our machines in mind.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I love it. And I learned a cool tip here on QB about spray dampening the fabric before dragging the pounce over the stencil and the chalk holds better but still steams out when done quilting. peace
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM
yel

i have almost wore one out if you start using it .....you will love it ....i have one with white and one with blue chalk .....the white stays on better and you iron it away ...
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM

Haven't read all posts but I use mine for placement of applique. I use a dressmakers tracing wheel and trace around certain points of my applique patterns, then rub over it with pounce, then I can see clearly to center my applique on my background material.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I think that "sprayed comment" meant with hair spray. it does help the chaulk stay in place and not go away with handling while quilting. I've not done that yet myself. of course, it washes out too. i would not spray chaulk that irons off though!!!
With WHAT did she spray it, dear Lisa, dear Lisa? ? ?

I expected to hear it was just water. Would you want to put hair spray on over the chalk? Wouldn't that make it hard to get off? I would think that would have to be washed out. I hope I can get an answer to this.