Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Start/stop feature >

Start/stop feature

Start/stop feature

Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM

I have a stop/start button on my Janome, plus a speed regulator, which I use for FMQ. Of course, I have it set on a slow speed. I find I get it done faster by going slower because I make fewer errors I have to stop and fix. LOL! Maybe I will gain speed over time. Anyway, I'm going to try tapping the foot control, just to see if that works on my machine! Probably not. . .

Wait! I don't need to tap the foot control. My machine just stops when I take my foot off the pedal. So there's no need for anything fancier!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Banned

My machines (both are Brother combo machines) won't do that
In order for me to use the start/stop button my foot pedal has to be
unplugged from machine.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:31 PM

When I first started piecing I used it instead of the foot pedal with speed set on slow because I felt I had better control.

it is also very handy if you take your machine to a class and forget your foot control
Old 12-03-2013, 02:44 PM

I have a babylock but something tells me I can not do that, quilty-louise you have brother machines? If I unhook the foot pedal, nothing happens, I do not think anyways.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
I have a babylock but something tells me I can not do that, quilty-louise you have brother machines? If I unhook the foot pedal, nothing happens, I do not think anyways.
I am sorry I meant, since you have brother machines, baby lock is made by the same company, but I do not think mine does that. From what I understand and was told by a brother salesperson, the brother is the cadillac and baby lock is the chev. Maybe that is the difference.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
I am sorry I meant, since you have brother machines, baby lock is made by the same company, but I do not think mine does that. From what I understand and was told by a brother salesperson, the brother is the cadillac and baby lock is the chev. Maybe that is the difference.
What kind of Babylock do you have? I think it's the other way around, Brother is the Chevy.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:50 PM

I think I have to unplug my foot pedal on my Janome in order to use the stop/start. Now I'm not sure!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:54 PM

I have the quilters choice, if you can believe this a brother salesman told me this, trying to talk me into buying a brother. I might have considered it, but the nearst dealer of any kind of sewing machine to me is a babylock dealer. It is not worth it to me to have to drive an hour with my machine when I have some kind of problem. There you go, sewing machine salesman is not much different than a car salesman. lol
Old 12-04-2013, 02:47 AM

Indeed, Judylg--I guess it probably depends on the dealer. I bought a used Espire and we are bonding--but it is taking some time. When I was lamenting a problem I was having to an LQS dealer here locally, she did not try to sell me one of her Janomes but very kindly said, "Try this"--and it solved the problem. So, there are good ones out there! Hope you get things straightened away.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 AM

I will stay with my local babylock dealer, I do like the features of this machine, this would be where I would go to add another machine. Not having to go a long distance for service is worth it to me. Sometime I am going to stop at the dealer who told me that brother machines were at the top end and see for myself. The brother sewing dealer is over an hour away from me, do not get there often.