Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Strip quilt Prep Questions >
  • Strip quilt Prep Questions

• Strip quilt Prep Questions

Old 03-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Found the greatest foundation paper. Bought dishes at Home Goods. They wrapped them with about 20 sheets. It is not tissue paper but a little stronger but are perfect.
    Old 03-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Watson
    When doing a strip quilt, do you prep a whole bunch of strips ahead of time?
    I have all my scrap strips in a drawer and they are all jumbled, most need ironing. Most are 2 1/2"...so, would you iron them all and cut them into different widths before you started?

Second, do you get up and iron after every other strip? Or do you just finger press and add all the strips?

Third, I bought a roll of Golden Threads paper really cheap... would that be good for a foundation?

Fourth someone said it was best to start with a white strip diagonally and build from there...I'm assuming this creates a pattern? Does anyone have a picture of this?

Thanks,
    Watson
    I iron if the edges to be sewn are not flat and sew sets and press to one side Unless I'm doing diagonal blocks.
    I use a tissue paper (1K sheets, 15" x 15") That I buy at a place called Smart & Final. Costco might have the same thing. It's used at Bakeries and Deli's, and is really thin. Tears out like a dream. This photo shows how thin it is.
    Attached Thumbnails sew-strips-thin-piece-paper-cut-whatever-size-you-choose-%96-version-2-copy.png  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-30-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 03-30-2019, 03:24 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]611025[/ATTACH]For a string quilt, your first strip, if centered on your foundation square will make a lattice pattern if you do all center strips in the same color. You can see I used yellow in this one. Regarding your other questions, I do have a bunch of strips precut before I start, which vary in width from 1 1/4” to 2 3/4”, but that is just my personal preference. If they are very wrinkled, I do pre-press them and have them sorted loosely into piles based upon color or width. I do iron each block after every two strips are added to have a smooth, flat block to sew the next strips onto. But I do chain sew several blocks at the same time, so I am not getting pup from the sewing machine for every block. Sometimes I set up a small travel iron right next to my machine so I just swivel between them and don’t get up at all!
    Attached Thumbnails 4d0011a1-ac5a-4a76-9c65-1f4a9add815d.jpeg