Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Straight cut

Straight cut

Am doing a wall hanging that requires precision cutting. What is best method to keep material straight? Spray starch, interfacing, or other method? Appreciate any help.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    I prefer starch. I spray and press each side. I don’t starch anymore after cutting. This really helps on bias edges and squaring up.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Make sure that your ruler has some 'finish' on the fabric side that prevents the ruler from slipping. I just got new rulers from Quilters Select [by Alex Anderson] and they have a wonderful gripper on the back.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Make sure that your ruler has some 'finish' on the fabric side that prevents the ruler from slipping. I just got new rulers from Quilters Select [by Alex Anderson] and they have a wonderful gripper on the back.
    Yes I got a ruler from Quilters Select and I love it!! I don't starch. It is too hard on my skin.

And make sure your cutting table doesn't flex in the middle as you press down - resulting in curved cuts. Plastic folding and non-folding tables are notorious for this.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Iron, and use a weight on the far end of the ruler. I have a 5 pound kettle bell, and it keeps your ruler from walking away down the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I love my Quilters Select ruler! I'm planning to add some more of them when I can.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Just something to keep in mind is ergonomics. For example, I find I cut best when I am standing. I cut my WoF (width of fabric) strip units while standing with my long ruler, then I can do the subcuts sitting if I wish, or if I'm trying to get in a few more steps or burn an extra 2 calories, sometimes I keep standing. But I have a long torso and proportionately short arms and legs (not so bad as the Geico alligator who can't pick up the check, but you get the idea).

I have a tall friend and she finds her kitchen counter is the right height to give her the results and control she wants.

For have to be absolutely perfect cuts I use Terial Magic spray. I use it like spray starch.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Also have a new blade in your cutter- it’s amazing how much difference it makes to use a new blade
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
    And make sure your cutting table doesn't flex in the middle as you press down - resulting in curved cuts. Plastic folding and non-folding tables are notorious for this.
    Very true! This happened to me when I was cutting ontop of my ironing board. Solution: I used double sided tape to stick my mat to a kitchen cutting board that is just the right size. Now I can slap that mat down anywhere and have straight cuts. I still like to cut on my ironing board.

Blog Entries
    Any time I am doing any precision piecing, or working with any kind of bias, I starch the snot out of the fabric before I do any cutting.

Are you indicating straight cuts or straight of grain? If straight of grain, have you been sewing long enough that you remember about pulling a thread to get an absolute straight of grain beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Any time I am doing any precision piecing, or working with any kind of bias, I starch the snot out of the fabric before I do any cutting.
    One spray of Terail Magic and you have fabric that can stand up! I love that stuff.