Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flat Rate Mailers FYI >

Flat Rate Mailers FYI

Flat Rate Mailers FYI

Old 04-21-2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
My postal lady helps me with pricing and which is best. Of course I live in a little town. They are very helpful. I am always sending fabric, or mags to others to share and doing block swaps, etc. The more savings, the more I can spedn on swapping.LOL
can you get book rates for the magazines?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 AM

I use flat rate boxes for fabric only. A recent shipment would have cost $50 for the same level of service ( speed ) I paid 10.70 . Note the box was completely crammed, and quite heavy.
As for sending a quilt this way, it is doubtful it will be worthwile since the batting is so light weight.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if a mailing tube would be cheaper. The QFK quilt is small enough to roll into a log. I'll check today at the P.O.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:46 AM
EC

If you are sending books/magazines out again, be sure to ask for the special rate for printed material. My daughter found out about this when sending a box of childrens' books to her niece. Much better rate.

Originally Posted by granniebj
I sent only one thing through flat rate so far. I sent alot of Quilting books to a lady who I thought would enjoy them. It was extremely heavy. I think it would have been more expensive the other way.....and if it isn't don't think I want to know about it! I should have checked both ways to make sure! Oh well, live and learn!
~Bj~
Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 AM

A small scale if a GREAT investment. I use Paypal to print my labels and pay postage and you get a tracking number. A friend uses the flat rate boxes to send things to her son in the Navy. I just started using the flat rate packages - will see how they turn out. The people at the UPS store have told me a few times to go the the PO since they are cheaper on certain items.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM

I checked on this too when I mailed back my first Downy quilt. I got the largest padded envelopes I could find at an office supply store. It cost me $9 and some change to mail. It would have cost a dollar more to use a flat rate box in the size I needed. You have to factor in the cost of the padded envelopes (which aren't cheap), but I still came out ahead, and it was easy to do. The ones I have are self-sealing--so no tape necessary.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by osmom
I mailed two quilts in my own box and it cost me $9.50. I did not think that was bad and wondered if it would have been cheaper in a flat rate box. Thanks for the info
I use the flat-rate box to mail 2 at a time, it costs $10.35. I love it because I can buy postage on line, or use the machine at the post office. I take some extra boxes home so I do all my packing and labeling before I get there. Maybe it's a little more $$, but I do not have a lot of spare boxes lying around.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM

I sent 2 queen quilts for my great nephews in a flat weight box and it cost me 13.00+ for each one. With insurance it was $32.40 from Surprise, Arizona to Seattle Washington. I felt it was a lot of money added to making the quilts but we pay for it somehow. I was in a hurry as I mailed them on the 24th of Dec and they received them the 26th, so that wasn't too bad for Xmas time. I always weigh my stuff at home and try to print my own postage so I won't be surprised when I send it.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM

Meant flat rate not flat weight boxes!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Shelia
I mailed a flat rate box through the post office on March 23 to Quilts for Kids. Quilts for Kids hasn't received it yet. :-(
Recently there was a post on here about a children's quilt that had been found at a post office with no label on it. Could it possibly be yours? I don't remember the name of the post. They put a picture on the post.