Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for authentic Frijoles (refried beans) recipe >

Looking for authentic Frijoles (refried beans) recipe

Looking for authentic Frijoles (refried beans) recipe

Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 AM

This is the way I fix mine, and I am hispanic, Clean your beans, I usually use 1/2 pound, cause they do expand. Soak for at least 2 hrs. in cold water. This will loosen any dirt that is stuck to the beans. Rinse and Re-soak for a couple of more hrs, (if you soak them longer because of time, it doesn't matter). Clean the beans again, and they should be ready to cook. You can use your crock pot, on high for at least 4 hrs, or a dutch oven. Either way is fine. Add your beans, an onion, quartered, a tooth of garlic or 2, and 2 slices of bacon. Add enough cold water to cover beans and have at least 2 inches above them. If cooking in a dutch oven on the stove, bring them to a boil then on a low, simmer till done. Since they do expand, make sure you always have enough water in the pot. Do not salt them, they will be tough. When done, in a fry pan, add oil to cover bottom of pan. Heat the oil, be careful because the juice of the beans will make it spatter. Cook on med. heat, let them simmer a little then mash. At this point add salt to taste and black pepper. Turn your heat to simmer. let then cook and stir so they don't stick to the pan. Now you can let them cook to your taste. The longer you cook them them, the thicker they will get. If you want them really refried add more oil and cook longer. When done you can add a teaspoon or tablespoon of butter, stir and serve. I put condiments on table, cheese, salsa, sour cream and let everyone fix their own. Enjoy...
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Well, they are traditionally made with lard, without it? just doesn't taste the same LOL Same with home made tortillas :wink:
I dated a man from Estados Grande Chihuahua (!!!!) for a time in the 80's , he cooked for me once, he said the trick was lard, and leave the food out on the stove over night.. ( notice I said ..once..)
Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by TEXMEXGAL
hello , if you will send me an e-mail at "[email protected] ) i will send u whatever mexican recipe u need......... i am a 77 yr old mexican lady that never eats in mex. rest. as it is not all authentic mex. food.....it is all fast food like in any other rest. when we go out to eat , we eat american or chinese... etc.. feel free to write me.... libby
Would you please post your recipe for frijoles here for all of us? Thank you. :D
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM

I went grocery shopping today and bought a bag of pintos and a can of pintos. I'll be trying some of your recipes soon so wish me luck. Thank you everyone for posting your recipes :-D
Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 AM

Here's what my MIL (who is mexican) taught me...easy and fool proof!
Take the pinto beans (2 Cups) and sift through them before putting in the slow cooker (Reason: sometimes there are stones and icky beans in there and you don't want to chip a tooth).
Add Garlic cloves...I put in 8 large cloves(Peel).
Cover with hot water.
Turn slow cooker on for 3-3 1/2 hours...DO NOT ADD SALT--beans do not get tender with salt in the water.
Once the beans are soft then add salt to taste (I use about a tablespoon).
Next remove beans from the slow cooker...mash.
Then add shredded cheese. I use a mix of montery jack and cheddar.
You can eat these as is (a little healthier if you're watching cholesrol).
OR..........
Heat about 1/8th cup of oil or lard in a large frying pan. Once hot, add the mashed beans. Watch out for splattering. Stir beans around until they absorb the oil. Delicious every time.
Good luck
Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Thank you Sharon. They sound great. :thumbup:

Does she make her own enchilada sauce, or "doctor up" the canned sauce. My favorite Mexican restaurant makes the best enchilada sauce. It isn't dark red, but more orangy in color and thick. I think it is a variation of a mole sauce but I can't figure it out. I even bought 2 authentic mexican food cookbooks!

If she makes her own, do you think she would share her recipe?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:56 PM

I agree. It's better with Lard, lots of it. It takes a while to fry and keep turning the mashed pinto beans(already cooked and drained of liquid)
Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 AM

I used to make my flour tortillas since I was 12 yrs. old. But now that it's just me and hubby, I cheat. I recently discovered that Wal-Mart sells Flour Tortilla mix in Mexican isle, I believe it's "White Wings Brand. " It's the BEST!!! You only add HOT WATER!!! AND MIX. Let REST for about 15 minutes. Divide into golf size balls. Roll out and cook on med. high griddle, (comal). (cast iron griddle). For about 15 or so seconds, then turn over and cook the same, then turn again for another few seconds. Then place in Tortilla Warmer lined with paper towel. So soft and delicious. This is a keeper. I am fussy about flour tortillas. I recommend this brand. For 5 lbs. it cost is $3.65.