Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Default These are all great and bringing back so many memories!

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
ME TOO! I used a quilted water resistant camouflage fabric. Hardest part was getting the straps placed so the gun was balanced equally for carrying. Zipper part wasn't as bad as I thought.
I now remember that I made the honor sashes for the marshals to wear at gradations which are still being used. I made a boat cover for my first husband's bass boat and I made a rag top for his jeep that he LOVED! Also made him a hunting vest with lots and lots of those elastic loops for shells.
When my oldest son and a BIG young man wanted those "fashionable" big legged jeans about 12-15 years ago, I had to make them for him because they weren't available in his size. Since I was doing that, I put his hip wallet pocket on the top of his thigh and just above the knee which he loved since he didn't have to sit on it. I also made his boxers in his school mascot prints. Memories!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 11-09-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM

I made a bunch of mini pillows with a hidden pouch in each of them for my nephew to "sell" at school for a economics class on supply and demand. They bartered and traded items that they had to make or had to be homemade. It taught them free market principles. He sold out really fast. The kids loved them because they could stash their ipods or cash in the little pouch. Each item had to cost less than a dollar to make, so my nephew came home with a bunch of odd items that didn't even come close to being as cool as our little pillows.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Not a real strange thing. I made a flat screen TV cover for a TV on an enclosed porch at a weekend home. The owner worried someone would see the TV and break in. The fabric matches the color of the stain on the wall. When the cover is on, he says you really have to look to see that a TV is there when you are in the house, so he knows no one can see it from the street.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Most recently I was asked to make a cover for e the Church's 'second' organ, the smaller more portable one. I have made toe covers for someone with a broken leg -- and exposed big toe, in December in New England and the canvas tent for the school's playground equipment. Many years ago, I borrowed a Snuggli as we were going on a weekend walking trip. I tried it on to get the fit right and practice before we left. When I took it off, I put it on the table where my unfolded laundry was supposed to magically fold and put itself away. I had just washed some bargain corduroy and realized it was the same as the Snuggli was made of. when I got home, I coppied the real Snuggli, line for line, snap and clip as well. Now that was worth the trouble -- I nearly wore it out and then passed it on.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 PM

I made a Sponge Bob costume for my son that was a really good replica, very three dimensional and his head was hidden inside the 'sponge' with nylon covering the eye holes so it looked much like the cartoon character.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM

once upon a time, i had a shop at a medeival ren faire. alot of the guys wore kilts. one day a friend came by and asked if i had ever made a "willie-warmer" he explained that some of them did winter faires and it could get cold under the kilt. so i got the instructions and made some up. they all sold.

for those who may not understand, the guys that ware the kilts. some of them go(what is called regimental), the dont ware anything under the kilt. thus the "willie-warmer". havent made any since. it was fun though.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM

I made a 15 foot long space shuttle out of pvc pipes and sewed a cover for it. It was a project I made for my school when I was teaching.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:58 PM

I made a dog outfit including boots for her feet. Sue
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM

i made a shade house cover on my old singer i had 2 males on in front and one behined feeding the 10 meter lengths through on command [oh what power] i also made a roman soldiers costume
Old 11-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Wish I would have had one of those!!! My little ones would have played peek a boo with it though.