Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Don't buy unless you can have the shipment insured.[/quote]

DITTO!! Don't be cheap, pay for that insurance. You'll be glad you did!!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 PM

I bought a sewing machine from Ebay and it was packed very well and no damages! I think Fed Ex takes better care of merchandise than UPS does!
I have a Pfaff 2140 Sewing/Embroidery machine that I am wanting to sell. If anyone interested, pm me. Thanks
Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM

I bought an old Singer awhile back that was cracked when it arrived. Contacted Sellar, ebay, and PayPal. Took awhile, but Sellar refunded all my money and paid for S & H back to him. We left no feedback on each other, better that way.

Sellar blamed Post Office for damage. I looked more closely at the pics and after enlargeing them to the nth degree, I discovered the machine was cracked in the pics.

I am even more careful when bidding on something, but this is the only time I have received damaged goods.

PS: Just curious - what do you think it means to have the insurance? What good is it for?
I had insurance on the above machine, but it was a real hassle. If I had made a claim with the PO (insurance), I had to place the machine in the original package with all the original packing inside another box, turn over the machine to my PO, they in turn would get it to the PO General (or whoever) in my state. At that time, the PO would make a decision of whether the original box was damaged by PO according to some criteria previously set up by PO. If they thought it was, then they would open the box and decide if the damage to machine was done by them. If they decided it was then I would get the original purchase price minus S & H back, but the PO would keep the machine. Yep, they would keep the machine. Now the worst - if they said the damage was not done by them, they still keep the machine and I get no money.
So, I am still wondering what good insurance is.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:49 PM

I have bought 7 sewing machines from ebay. I haven't had any problems with any of them. A few weren't packed as well as I would like, but they still worked very well. I always check the feed back before buying.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Get shipping insurance - can't loose.
Also, my daughter checked prices for me, a sewing machine
30lbs. Was cheaper with ups than the reg. mail, we checked
it twice. The larger package and heavy package. Almost
1/2 the price.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by sherian
Get shipping insurance - can't loose.
Also, my daughter checked prices for me, a sewing machine
30lbs. Was cheaper with ups than the reg. mail, we checked
it twice. The larger package and heavy package. Almost
1/2 the price.
AGAIN....insurance does NOTHING for you if the seller doesn't package it per USPS rules and regulations.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:54 PM

I've bought several on ebay. The first, my Bernina 830 record. No problems at all, and it was from a private seller. I bought a Janome serger, a pfaff serger, an Elna air electronic, and a brother embroidery machine. The UPS guy dropped the embroidery machine walking up to the house.

All in all, they were all packed well and arrived safely.
I did have to have the Elna serviced, but it was like brand new and had been used to little that it was "seized" up. They fixed 'er up and she purrs like a kitten. All in all, I have had good results with ebay. However, I do check their feedback scores and if they don't have 99% or above I'll pass them up. Also absolutely make sure that it is insured.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:00 PM

You do need to check the shipping price carefully. I have bought some machines on eBay and it's been fine. One thing in your favor is that eBay purchases have to be paid through PayPal now, and if you are unhappy with the deal for whatever reason you can file a complaint through PayPal and they will mediate. If you win, you have to return the item, but they will get your money back from the seller. So the risk is really a lot smaller. Just be sure you read all the information, ask questions if you want to, and look at the pictures carefully.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Very pleased with the Singer 201-2 I purchased on ebay. The seller packed it extremely well for me, double-boxed w/ lots of batting and a clean old blanket for padding. She had tried to sell as "pick-up only" in a large cabinet. After I explained I just wanted the machine - already have the old "art deco" writing table/cabinet - she sold it to me, kept the cabinet to use for herself.
She even sent attachments and a fistful of notions 2 weeks later when she found them in the seat that went with the cabinet.
Her hubby accidently cut the cord taking it out of the cabinet, so she replaced that and had it serviced while it was in the shop - overall, I couldn't be happier.
Good luck in your search.

Make sure your seller has stellar feedback ratings, insures the item and is instructed to double-box and pad very well, especially around knobs and presser foot arm.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 PM

i brought a featherwight from them good fast service ,but i would check out who seller is you can see how many stars they have with coustomars feed backs i always do