Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Totally bummed out >

Totally bummed out

Totally bummed out

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by babindg12200 View Post
If you go on Ebay, you won't find any Bernina's for sale. You may find the little berninette or what ever it is.
This statement is not true.

I have a Bernina 1530 from 1992 and it's a great machine. I regularly look on ebay for Bernina's and sometimes there are 1530's and 1630's on there in very nice condition. If they have a lot of feet and accessories, they will bid upwards to $800.00. There are some older vintage Bernina's on there as well, the Record 830, etc. I only mentioned the 1530 and 1630 because I'm more familiar with that model. Enjoy your search.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Love my babylock espire(now symphony) sews so beautiful, can't imagine owning anything else except maybe a long arm
Old 12-16-2011, 04:05 AM

I have an old singer (garage sale), my Bernina 830 (bought new in '75) and my "baby" Janome6600. They are all workhorses. Bought the new one couple years ago when we had no nearby service for the Bernina, and found out parts are no longer available, so she moved to "back up" and portable status. I have loved the features on the Janome: foot down, thread cutter, fairly big harp, and QUIET! I didn't know the noise I had been putting up with until I sewed a while on her!

Another consideration is proximity to dealer service- I love knowing I can run up and get questions answered and service without driving to Timbucktoo. (I watched my neighbor go thru that mess with a lemon of a machine, and got smart watching her!)
Old 12-16-2011, 04:16 AM

One thing you might consider, is looking at floor models at your local shops. Also, you can get some great deals I hear at the shows, for the machines they use for demo's. I just purchased Babylock Quest and I love it, and it was a floor model, since it is being replaced by a newer model. I can't afford to spend what the brand new models are selling for, and I got such a good deal on this one, that it made it affordable for me. Good luck in your search!!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:17 AM

I have the Bernina 830(amazing workhorse) and a Bernina 440QE. Love both--harp on 440QE made bigger. It does all
you asked. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:42 AM

I have an older viking that works well, but silly me recently purchased a babylock ellure plus(a very weak moment) and in all sincerity, I like the viking better...the viking is heavier, more room at the throat area, not only for fabric but for my fingers to get to the feet for changes, etc. Altho it does not have the "latest" tricks, like auto threading(which is quite a tricky thing on babylock)I still like it better and if I could do it again, I would have looked at a newer viking......live and learn....have you tried ebay?????I am sure everyone loves whatever brand they have so like so many things in life sometimes it is a toss of the dice......
Old 12-16-2011, 05:31 AM

Can't speak for any other make but I own 3 Janomes. As others have said the 6600 has everything you mention. I bought it for the throat space. Test driving is a good thing to do. Have fun.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by AZTeri View Post
Please people - permission only means that I asked my dh if it was ok that I start really looking now. He handles the finances in our house and we NEVER make big financial decisions without the other one being on board. Plus, he's the type that looks at every angle, does a lot of research on not only prices but reads all the negative and positive reviews. WE never make a decision that involves a substantial sum of money without doing that. That includes his recent purchase of a 55" flatscreen TV. If I had said that I didn't think it was a good idea, he wouldn't have gotten it! Sheesh.

As far as the other advice, I hadn't looked at Janomes yet. I've looked at Bernina and Viking though and am impressed with both of them. My budget will be in the neighborhood of $1000 or so. I am looking forward to testing several of them out at the show in January though.
I'm with you. I never spend a large amount of money without discussing it with DH and he doesn't without discussing it with me. Our is an almost 41 year marriage (we were babies, just 18) and it has lasted because we respect one another on every level. I will say DH once told me I COULDN'T by an Elna Press. It took 3 weeks to get it ordered but I brought it home. He said, "I thought I said you couldn't have it." I said, "Yes, you did. You didn't say we can't afford it. You didn't say you'd rather I not buy it just now. You told me I COULDN'T have it." His reply, "Big mistake. Point taken." And, we've never had that misunderstanding again!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 AM

My Hubbie came home from a shopping trip earlier this month and told me he was getting me the sewing machine I have been longing for. Well it arrived yesterday!!!!! My local fabric store delivered it and set it up in its new table and I played til midnight.Its the Janome update of the 6600p and it is an absolute joy I think it has a purring function or maybe that was me.What a christmas present.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 AM

Me too, my Janome 6600 is a great reliable workhorse of a machine. Love it!
Originally Posted by mcdaniel023 View Post
Me, too. I use it for everything you listed.