Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My "NEW" pressing tool! >

My "NEW" pressing tool!

My "NEW" pressing tool!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
Well, I am still wondering how to use one and for what. Yes, I don't know everything. Just found out what a measuregraph for fabric is. Need a demonstration for my brain to absorb it.
Never mind, I found out what they are for. Second page of this message has link to site that splains it. thank you.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM

I am still trying to figure this out - Jacki you are WAY ahead of me in the gadget department!

My first question is, instead of buying 1/4-round's why don't you buy half-rounds and save the glue-up? Or are you squishing the fabric between the pieces?

And what is the width/diameter of the half-round you are making?

After that I guess I'm just not ready to press like that on a strip - I can't reliably make one WOF straight, never mind sewing a bunch of them before pressing. Mine would be a hilly wavy mess. I always press, measure the width for straightness, then go to the next strip.

But it is true that I can create waves by mis-pressing stuff I already pressed...hmmmm
Old 01-27-2012, 07:23 AM

I don't think I am getting it. Why the insul brite? Is there heat involved some how?

I've seen the light, I mean video. All has become clear!

Last edited by bj riley; 01-27-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Jacquie: Our very own MacGyver of the QB! Tell us... what can you do if given a roll of duct tape? LOL! Thanks for posting a very useful idea!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Got everything to make one or two, except for the Insulbrite. I guess it is off to Joannes tomorrow to use my latest coupons. Hmmm, is there anything else I need?
If you have a Hobby Lobby near, I would go there for the insulbrite rather than Joanns. LOTS cheaper - like $4 per yard cheaper. Just thought you might want to know.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Aren't you clever! I love it when someone finds a thrifty alternative to expensive quilting items.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM

I also have made several of these (gave one to each of my quilting buddies). If you get half round you don't have to glue 2 together like when you get the quarter round. Also you don't need to have insulBrite - any left over batting will do
Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 PM

Do you end up with a HALF round? If so, why not just get that instead of QUARTER round?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:04 PM

Great idea that I can do...thanks for sharing!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Banned

yes, you do get a 1/2 round..BUT my local Lowe's does not carry 1/2 round trim..so I had to use what was available.
IF you can find 1/2 round trim in the 1 1/4" diameter, then by all means use that! I would have!

I used insulbrite for one good reason...WARPING....insulbrite shiney side up reflects the heat from the iron back UP into the cloth instead of DOWN into the wood....if you get pine trim and it gets wet..it will warp when you apply heat to it!

The warping is why I chose to make my own. When I asked the lady demoing these at the show what they were made of she simply said wood. I asked about it warping and she turned to another lady and would not answer my question...so...I set about making my own!