Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My "NEW" pressing tool! >

My "NEW" pressing tool!

My "NEW" pressing tool!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

What a good idea! I'm adding molding to my list for a trip to Lowe's.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 PM

We quilters are soooo smart, always thinking out of the box. A gold star for you today.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 PM

going to the site that was posted is very helpful in understanding what it's for and how it works. I don't usually press my seams open so I'm confused as to whether I am supposed to when doing the strip piecing. Thanks for the advice in advance. Hugs all
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
Hum, you all get my synapses working. if there's a table saw available you could rip an old broom handle or dowel lengthwise to make half-rounds.
I wanted to do that and DH said NO...because you do not know what wood is used, and if you hit a knothole, etc, the saw and kick back and cause injury...and shatter the wood...so safer to find something you can use already in the 1/2 or 1/4 rd.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
going to the site that was posted is very helpful in understanding what it's for and how it works. I don't usually press my seams open so I'm confused as to whether I am supposed to when doing the strip piecing. Thanks for the advice in advance. Hugs all

try this...get some strips, make a strip set of say 6 strips the way you make them now..then do a set using this tool or a pressing ham and see how it looks...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
If you have a Hobby Lobby near, I would go there for the insulbrite rather than Joanns. LOTS cheaper - like $4 per yard cheaper. Just thought you might want to know.
Thanks Jane, but no Hobby Lobby here in my part of the country. But I did buy some insulbrite at Joanne's on sale for $6.99 a yard. I figured that making the pressing tool would not take much and if I ever want to make some pot holders I will have it on hand.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM

I don't have a Hobby Lobby near me either, sure wish I did.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I saw a lady demo HER version at the quilt show in OKcity and figured I could make my own version of it. AFterall, it is only a pressing bar, like a tailors HAM.
I bought a piece of Oak 1/4 round trim molding at Lowes, had my DH cut it the lengths I wanted and then glued two piece together to get the shape I needed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306285[/ATTACH]

then I covered the oak stick with a layer of insulbrite and a layer of duck canvas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306286[/ATTACH]
I then stapled it all with a heavy duty stapler, and tapped the staples down smooth with a tiny hammer. I think the end result is nice, but a bit wider than hers though, but that is really not an issue at all. The purpose of having the rolled top is so that the seams press open cleanly! By using unwashed duck cloth I can now steam it to shrink it down nicely! **This view is of the bottom, not the top where I will be pressing!**
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306287[/ATTACH]
costs, trim was $6.00, and I got the 18" and a 30" stick out of that. I bought 1/3 yard each of insul-brite and duck canvas for only $4.65, the staples I had. It took all of 40 minutes to make these. YAY for me! Now to see how well this works...I had a tailors sleeve ham but it did not have a small enough hump for the seams..this appears to just right!
And to think I almost bought one! Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewOK View Post
I've had a Steam Stick in my sewing room for years. Great for pressing pants seams when sewing also great for using under a Velva Board when pressing seams in Velvet, Satin, etc. when garment sewing. Mine is made of hardwood and was sanded smooth and covered with a heat resistant clear stain to keep it from absorbing water. I think my dh may have paid $1.50for the one I have about 10 years ago at Home Depot. It has never warped, stained or anything. A very valuable tool when garment sewing. I used it a ton when sewing bridal appare for the long seams.
SEE..I remember the decorator I apprenticed under using one of these under velveteen drapes....Knew I had not gone bonkers! Thanks for sharing your info!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Good job. Thanks for sharing.