Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My New Cheapy Iron... >

My New Cheapy Iron...

My New Cheapy Iron...

Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 AM

the non steam irons I use one came from wally world and the other I paid $1.59 at a thrift store 7 years ago and it's still ticking..I have a shark, I love it. My friend gave it to me she didn't like it.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Are irons so expensive in the U.S.A ? I can get a decent iron here in the U,k for about £20. I use my quilting iron such a lot and , as I hate domestic ironing !! prefer to have a reasonable one for peicing , although I admit do have a slightly better one for every day use.Either way, a good iron is so important for whatever use,startching with an cheap iron can cause all kinds of problems, just my take on this.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you picked up a winner at a great price, I might look at it the next time I'm out and about. I must say though that I got a good chuckle from the mental picture of the nozzle shooting out, soaring past your cat and flying across the room. My cat takes a detour when I'm using my water spritzer while ironing, doesn't like it at all.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM

I looooove my Oreck iron. In fact, my original iron (got in a package deal when I bought the vacuum) stopped working over a year ago. I checked into buying another Oreck iron and they were like $150+, which I could not afford. In talking with one of my co-workers, she mentioned that she needed to buy a more lightweight iron because hers was too heavy, and she was going to throw it out - amazingly, it was an Oreck! She just gave it to me and wouldn't even let me put some money toward her new one. I was thrilled.

I've had more than one Rowenta iron and I hated them all.... too much spitting all over the place. I had a Black & Decker extra-long cord iron that I liked also. And I have an old-fashioned dry iron that I bought at our local Job Lot store which is pretty awesome and gets very hot (so nice for pressing quilt blocks).
Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 PM

I loved your description of your iron and its demise. Made me laugh on this rainy dark day. I too am a cheapie fan. My Rowentas only last a short time. Wish they were better made because I do like the feel of them.

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
My old, standard-size iron has been wearing out for some time now. The Teflon is now peeling, the tip has a dent in it and I'm never sure whether the temp is on HOT, or COLD. It's latest breakdown was the spray nozzle. I pressed the sprayer and POOOT...out shot the nozzle from the iron, soaring past the cat and landing clear across the room! (The cat's still not over it.)

So, off I went shopping and I found this cute, little iron at the bog-box, discount store that starts with a "W." It was only $6.97. Surely, this thing won't last a day, I thought. What a piece of carp! But I'm a cheap gambler, so I bought it anyway and set it up at my quilting table.

I've been using it a week now and I have to say, it's a pretty nice li'l iron. It's light weight, which I think is wonderful. I especially think so, after pressing a gazillion blocks that each have a multitude of seams. Ahhh...My arm is NOT falling off. The iron has a spray feature, (with a nozzle that is molded into the body, thank Gawd,) a steam feature that can be turned on and off, a Teflon coated plate, a clear, see-thru, water storage, plus, it's small, so it can get into those intricate seams and points...not to mention it could be a great travel buddy. Now, maybe it won't last as long as a Rowenta, but hey... just think of how many of these cheapy irons I could buy for the price of one fancy iron!

Anyway, check it out. It's the "Lightweight Iron," made by RIVAL.

~ Cindy
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Letty View Post
Are irons so expensive in the U.S.A ? I can get a decent iron here in the U,k for about £20.
That's about $30, and plenty of decent irons can definitely be found for that, or less.. to be honest if you walk into any department store 90% of the irons you find will be priced less than that.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
Absolutly hate my Shark iron....shuts off too soon..have to click the button five times every time it stops to get it up to temp....sucky iron...i wish it would die so i could get another..migh just have to look at the 6.00 iron!
I had that SAME crappy iron.....hated it...used it one day and took it back. Believe it or not I returned three irons within one month until I got one I liked. WM probably has my name in their black book. I'm 72 and have never had that problem before.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 PM

Sorry, I just had to laugh when I read your post. Not because of your iron dying on you, but what you wrote about the steam nozzel flying across the room and the "cat's not over it yet" I can just visulize that happening and seeing the cat scampering and wailing. I personally don't have cats, we have always had dogs, but my daughter has cats and I have seen them spooked before.One can only imagine what the poor animal must have thought was happening and that you were definitely angry at him when it happened. I bought a cheap iron to take to quilting, it works fine. We all use it.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 AM

I have this iron and LOVE it for 2 reasons, it's small (don't need large iron for small pieces) and it's the only one I was able to find with NO AUTO SHUT OFF.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 AM

I bought the shark based on some recommendations here and can't say I love it. I sprung for a new Rowenta. I may still check out the "no auto shut off" one at W.