Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • You could have knocked me over with a feather!!! >
  • You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!

• You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 AM

The only fabric I ever returned was because of a flaw that neither the cutter nor I noticed, and my JoAnn employees are good about looking for flaws. Their policy used to be that you could return anything over 1 yard just because you didn't use it. A few days ago my favorite JoAnn cutter told me the "uncut" rule and to save my receipt. Now I'm trying to remember to closely inspect fabric before adding it to my stash.
    Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 AM

I have been told the same at JoAnn's but for fabric on clearance, not on sale.
    Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 AM

I have always thought that not " having been cut " means you have taken the remainder of the bolt, not a cut of say 2 yards, and decided to return it.
    Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    ​I have never I encountered that. I thought once you had it cut and left the store you were stuck. Of course I just add it to my stash to use on something else if it doesn't suit the project.
    Same here!!!
    Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 AM

You can return it - as long as it hasn't been cut, washed, etc. AND it's more than a yard. They consider a yard or less a remnant and you can't return those I've worked there part time several times and when I first learned this, I was amazed!

I guess I should have added - you can't return any clearance items anymore - fabric or otherwise. All "red tag" items are sales final!
    Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 AM

I did return a fat quarter to Joann's once. When I opened it, it had a ragged hole where the weave had skipped, apparently. But like you, I've never thought of returning cut fabric unless it was damaged in some way. Also, I've seen fat quarters in stock that have clearly been opened and folded back so I assume someone returned those.

I was also astonished to learn that people return books! I assume, too, they may have read them and just want their money back. But maybe they return books that are gifts, either because they don't want it or already have it.
    Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 AM

They are supposed to all be following the same rules - they are company rules. Sometimes a store is going under different rules because the people there don't know what the rules are!!

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I think every JoAnn's is different. Depends on what the managers let happen.
    Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 AM

I'm guilty of having returned a book when I got home and found out that I had already purchased it!! I guess I really liked that one! LOL

Originally Posted by mme3924
    I did return a fat quarter to Joann's once. When I opened it, it had a ragged hole where the weave had skipped, apparently. But like you, I've never thought of returning cut fabric unless it was damaged in some way. Also, I've seen fat quarters in stock that have clearly been opened and folded back so I assume someone returned those.

I was also astonished to learn that people return books! I assume, too, they may have read them and just want their money back. But maybe they return books that are gifts, either because they don't want it or already have it.
    Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 AM

I work at a JoAnn, and unfortunately there are a Lot of people who return material, some of it they try to return has been washed and/or cut. Also if it was indeed a red tag fabric it Cannot be returned as it has been clearanced.
    Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Well since you don't buy there often you may have missed a flyer from them. I buy 99% of my fabric there, haven't returned any yet. I watch close when they unfold it to make sure there are no problems in the fabric.
    So far all my quilts have lasted together.