Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!

You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!

Yesterday I was at Joann's to buy some St. Patrick's day fabric. I don't normally buy fabric there because of the quality (or lack thereof). I found what I wanted in the sale (red tag) section and as the woman was cutting the fabric she said, "Since this is on sale you can't return it." Well, I was in my own little world and suddenly...wait! What?!? She said, "If you buy fabric at Joann's, as long as it wasn't on sale, you haven't cut it again and it hasn't been washed, you can return it"!! I have never heard such a thing! It's kind of like buying a book, reading it and then returning it for a refund. She said that people do it all the time...I didn't even get the memo that this was allowed! Very surprising to me...am I the only one out of the loop on this? Did everyone know but me? That just doesn't seem like a very good idea from a business standpoint.

Blog Entries
    I've heard of this. However, usually within 10 minutes of me getting home, the material is cut. I've never contemplated returning material. I've sat back at the end of a shop hop and thought "Oh boy! I sure did buy a lot." Never did the thought enter my head "I should return some, or this or that!" NEVER!!!
    Go forth and sew!

I have returned some to Joann's. Usually for clothing and I decided to go in another direction, and would not use the fabric for any other occasion. Has to be within 90 days, uncut. Never heard of the sale part, and I usually buy everything when it is on sale. Maybe she said clearance? That would make sense.

Power Poster
    ​I have never I encountered that. I thought once you had it cut and left the store you were stuck. Of course I just add it to my stash to use on something else if it doesn't suit the project.

Blog Entries
    I have never returned fabric. Seems a waste of time. Fabric can always be used.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have returned an entire piece to Joann's, that didn't match/didn't work with a project. (a few times there were "errors" in the fabric). As long as it was the original length, and within 30 days I didn't have a problem. I cannot imagine returning "the extra bit" that I didn't use.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I didn't know this. But then I have not thought of ever returning fabric. If I can't use it I either try to "home" it with a quilting friend, put it in my stash, or donate it. Although if I find "errors" in the fabric I would return it. But I have not had to do so yet.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Blog Entries
    I knew it but I would never return fabric unless it was really expensive AND cut wrong or something. There's always something I can use it for eventually. At least that's what I tell myself (every time I buy fabric I don't need).

I knew you could return fabric if you got it home and found a flaw, or it was damaged in some way, but I didn't know you could take it back for any other reason.

Blog Entries
    Return fabric!?!? Isn't that against the law or something.? lol

I have returned fabric to JoAnn's when it was cut too short. Normally I wash my fabric as soon as I get it home, so there's no returning after that.

Blog Entries
    Yes... yes, that's it ... it is definitely against the law! So that settles that! No returns for me! LOL
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

I ordered fabric on line from a shop and when it arrived it was the wrong shade of red to go with my project. I called the shop and explained my dilema and since it was a 3 yd cut they said to return it and they would send me another 3 yds of what I needed. Nice shop Marge

I worked in a fabric store years ago, and we took fabric back. We would always check to make sure it was the original length. It seemed that Halloween was always a busy "return" time. So many mothers thought they could sew a costume, only to run out of time or ambition before the big day! They'd bring back the whole bag...fabric, pattern, notions, etc....unopened!
    psumom

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    That's a new one on me but It goes straight into the washer almost like a sneeze, just that quick. But as long as it meets the register receipt, I guess. I know of people who have purchased clothing, worn it, then returned it. I worked at WalMart in the returns dept. and one gal tried to return a camisole. She had to keep it. Will let you just guess why.

Yes you can return fabric, just because it isn't what you want. Been the policy for years that I know of, I have watched it happen. But I think if you buy online you must return online.

I have returned fabric that has been seriously miscut....and a couple of times I returned fabric that was misprinted and I didn't catch it at the store.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I don't ever recall returning a fabric. I knew Jo'ann's had that policy but never took them up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nanac View Post
    Return fabric!?!? Isn't that against the law or something.? lol
    It must be ...... LOL!!!

Blog Entries
    I think every JoAnn's is different. Depends on what the managers let happen.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I once returned a piece of fabric to Joann's because it continued to bleed no matter what I did. I hand washed it in the sink (I do that with all fabric before putting it in the washing machine to check for color fastness). I took it back and told them I could not use it in a quilt due to the bleeding. They took it back no problem.
    I don't think I would ever try to return it just because I didn't want it or like the color.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

I have returned fabric that was flawed but never for any other reason. Good thing to know.

It never occurred to me to even consider returning fabric!
    Unused clothing pattern, maybe if it was the wrong size. Otherwise I figure it will eventually get used.

Blog Entries
    I have never returned any to JoAnns as I have only bought 2 different fabrics and those were the Legacy Studios fabrics that to me are of good quality. I have returned a few pieces of yardage to Hancock Fabrics due to the lack of 3-4" cut at an angle from each piece. So frustrating. They used to have the counters that had the cutting guides built in, now they just eye it up and cut. After questioning different 'cutters' about this on a few occasions, and getting a rather smirky reply, I now frequent my LQS only. They did take back the fabric as I kept the yellow UPS sticker for the fabric pieces. Makes no sense they don't line up the selvages and measure the fabric correctly. The only thing I haven't found returnable are patterns and books due to copyright reasons.

I knew about taking fabric back to JoAnns too but never have......once I've bought it I go home and just admire it!! Once I bought a 3 yard cut online at an online shop. I was making fleece blankets for Christmas, and they sent me 3 separate 1 yard cuts! So I e-mailed them and they told me to keep the 3....1 yard cuts and they sent me a continuous 3 yard cut!! So I was able to make smaller blankets out of the 1 yard cuts. I thought that was nice of them. I was willing to send it back too. I agree with others ...........it must be a crime to take fabric back!
    Evie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast