Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about charging and rag quilts >

Questions about charging and rag quilts

Questions about charging and rag quilts

Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 AM

When I made my rag quilt I read a tip somewhere to buy a pair of actual pruning shears (I don't remember the brand). They were only about $10-12 and worked like a charm.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Tip: From the comments I've seen on this board, give the finished quilts to the customer and let HER run them through her washer to rag them. lol
If you want to do the ragging step - and I would because they don't look very nice until after that's done - take them to a commercial laundry that has over-sized machines. I made a queen size rag quilt and showed it to the attendant at the laundry before I washed it, explaining about the amount of debris to expect. He said they have special filters and it would be no problem. It would have destroyed my home washer and/or plumbing, and you surely would not want a paying customer to risk that. You should include the cost of the laundering and maybe even your hour at the laundromat in your overhead. I say "maybe" about the time because I just enjoy sitting around reading for an hour and wouldn't charge for it.

I have no memory of how much time it took to sew the quilt because I just made it for my daughter and didn't keep track. Sorry I'm no help with your question.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

There are people that actually think that we do this "just for fun" - which is mostly true - until it is a commissioned quilt!