Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about charging and rag quilts >

Questions about charging and rag quilts

Questions about charging and rag quilts

Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 AM

that is a beautiful quilt!! I am wanting to do a rag quilt , i just cant find the time!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:44 AM

Lots of good info here (as always :-) ). Love the idea of trying to get her to do part of it.

Baby quilt size rags (flannel, I think) are $150 on one site on Etsy!

I like the accuquilt dye for rag quilts - never have too much trouble with the seams - and sooooo much better than having to make all those snips! I have used spring loaded snips too - now can't imagine making one without the accuquilt.

Also, if you use fleece (lots of color/print choices, soft and cuddly) you won't need batting and the snips curl really well. I don't like the lint of cutting and sewing fleece, but I do like the outcome.

If you want an 'ultimate' rag quilt - in my opinion - I just love the ones made with homespun. Just don't wash and dry it at home!!!

Big decision here.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I agree. I have made many rag quilts and the snipping is the most difficult and painful part of the quilts. Whoever washes them, make sure to use a large terry cloth towel in the washing and drying. It really helps in the "ruffling" or ragging process.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]432074[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Could you agree to teach her how to cut the squares of flannel and batting and then the ragging. I prefer my Fiskars Rag Snips for ragging [she could buy her own snips too.]

Let her help as she want the quilts. Unless she is infirm, then charge what you are comfortable with.
Attached Thumbnails pink-panda-rag-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 AM

Rag quilts are so fun. It was my first try at quilting. The only bad thing is the clipping, and being new I just used regular scissors. I will get those clipper things next time : )
Attached Thumbnails 100_0446.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have two rag quilts I have to make. One was put together with the batting inside and was ragged by an Accuquilt. I'm looking forward to making that one. The other is already cut to 8" and has the batting inside but not ragged. The only reason I bought them was because they were pre-cut and had the batting inside.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 AM

When you make a rag quilt, it goes by fast, until you get to the dreaded part. THE CLIPPING!!!!!!! What a time consuming pain, my hands were all cramped. I had to keep stopping to stretch my hands out. When you wash them, make sure to get all the threading out of your washing machine and then put your machine on HOT WATER to get out strings you don't see. When you put it into the dryer, make sure you clean out the lint tray. And I am not kidding you, MAKE SURE TO SHAKE IT OUTSIDE TO GET THREADS OUT. I have maroon carpeting in my family room and when I shook the quilt in there, we had snow in the room. I was covered with it. My husband looked at me and got hysterical. That was my first rag quilt, so I was not thinking. I was so excited to finish it, lol. I made 4 more after that, 1 for each of my 3 daughters and a close friend. I WOULD FOR SURE get those clippers that someone posted, believe it or not they were a big help. I would NEVER make another rag quilt, that's just me, lol.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM

I would tear those strips baby lol. On the length of grain of course and then cut four squares at a time from those strips.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

About rag snip scissors, I've used every brand. Honestly using the Heritage rag snips does not make my hands tired at all. The Fiskars and F&P rag snips are not the same. Homespun fabric is the best for making rag quilts but usually Homespun is all plaid, but it's inexpensive and will hold up in a rag quilt.
I have never had a problem with the snipped edges getting in my way of sewing when using the rag die to make pre snipped cut squares.

I wash the rag quilt one time in hot water (because I don't pre wash my fabric unless it's flannel), toss in dryer and check lint trap often. When dry I take it outside and shake until I get bored with it.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-25-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If I were making 5 of them I would look into the price of one of the AccuQuilt cutters with the rag quilt die. It would save a ton of time and would probably pay for itself.
I would have never gotten through my first small throw without my Accuquilt cutter. No way I would ever do 5 twin sized ones without it. It makes life so much easier and it goes by fast. I'd do one (even if its for you) figure out how much time you have into it and the work involved and then decide on a price. I agree too, get a deposit, non refundable first and payment when completed. I'd take them to the laundry mat to wash them, you'll fill a load with 5 of them. You don't want her to mess up her washer. You can tack the price of the washing to the bill. For flannel, prewashing is a must.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom View Post
Hi,
I have been asked to do 5 rag quilts for a lady for Christmas. She will provide all fabric and batting for the quilts. They are twin sized. Has anyone made them? How long do they take? What do most of you, who quilt for others, charge per hour for the piecing of quilts?
and by the way, if she thinks its too much. Have a block ready and have her to cut the snips on one block so that she can see how much work is involved. I'd do this even if I had the accucut.