Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
for those of you whose sewing machine is flush with the table top... >

for those of you whose sewing machine is flush with the table top...

for those of you whose sewing machine is flush with the table top...

Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Maybe this is a really stupid question, but here goes: does a front loading bobbin machine work in these cutouts or do you have to take the machine out of the hole to change your bobbin? Told you...duh!!

Also, what does the machine sit on if you've cut away the table? (Wow...two dumb questions in one posting...must be a new record for me!)

Anita
I was wondering about the bobbin thing too. I've almost always had drop in bobbins.

As for what it sits on, you have to make a little shelf under the opening and it has to be the right depth for your machine bed to be level with the table.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
does a front loading bobbin machine work in these cutouts or do you have to take the machine out of the hole to change your bobbin?
Anita, most of the tables you should find or make will usually have a larger than the machine opening.

If you look at the one I made here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t216324-2.html
You can see that the insert gets lifted up to change the bobbin (that Pfaff on the page I linked to uses a front loading bobbin) and the bobbin changed then the insert is put back down. I often don't even bother closing the bobbin door, just drop the insert back in place.

The only times I lift the machine out of the opening are:
1. To change machines. In practice, the Pfaff is my go to machine, so it's usually in there, but if I'm trying something else out, or testing a new machine, it will be put aside for a bit.
2. In open arm configuration - sometimes for certain darning or sewing projects to get the work around the arm. Most things though I can just sneak in with the space to the left.
3. If I'm using a -side- load machine, like the featherweight, a 301, or a 15 for instance, I tilt it on the other side to change the bobbin. I still find this easier on my body than sewing with any machine on top of the table though.