Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I do this? >

Why do I do this?

Why do I do this?

Old 06-14-2014, 04:22 AM

I never make the same pattern twice as I want to learn some new technique each quilt I make and I get easily bored doing the same thing over and over. I don't make fast quilts nor a lot of them. I have made quilts for my children and grandchildren but a quilt, given the time and money involved in making one, is not a gift that I give away to casual friends, coworkers and such. I don't have many magazines or books. I do look at magazines that I get at the give and take table at guild. I take them home one meeting, look at them and take them back the next meeting. I've even been known to take the same magazine home again later not realizing I've already looked at it but don't let that get around!

It really doesn't make any difference what type of quilts a person makes, how many, who they are for etc. It should be a source of enjoyment and do whatever you like.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I have to many ideas to make the same pattern twice.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:53 AM

I've collected a lot of patterns books & magazines, too. Much more than I will be able to use in a lifetime. Same with fabric. But I haven't made the same pattern twice, except for just adding borders to a baby quilt panel, and even those aren't all the same.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:42 AM

I agree with Doggramma; If I made all the quilts I read about and dream about, I would have a stack of already made quilts that would reach to the moon. I just love read and looking at them and I do try to keep one in progress, but for the last 2 years I have been physically unable to sit to quilt, so looking and reading is all I do.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 AM

Have you started a "Quilt Bucket List"? If nothing else, it will remind you of things you want to try.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 AM

I made my first kaleidoscope quilt using a paper pattern. I just bought the proper tool and am looking forward to using it for a OBW. It has got to be easier than the first one! I don't mind doing the same pattern more than once as long as my quilts never become ho-hum. Each one is a special hug for someone, and making them smile is more important to me than the challenge of a new pattern.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:54 AM

I too have lots of patterns, mags, and books. I do try to make new patterns and usually successful. My very good quilt friend always makes a new pattern and never the same. I cannot count the number of times I have made "crazy nine-patch", "Yellow Brick Road", "nine patch", "disappearing nine patch", "hop-scotch with layer cakes", "log cabins", or "courthouse steps". If I need a fast quilt I always fall back to the 2 1/2 jelly rolls to make 4-patchs with strips around the 4-patch--I can get that one done in no time flat.

Best of all, the quilt police do not come to Round Rock, Texas.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:31 AM

I have collected way to many patterns and at my age I will never even use but a few but I still keep collecting. I have never made the same pattern twice. I made my DD a beautiful lap quilt several years ago that I wanted to use the same pattern for some new fabric I bought that just calls for that pattern however I can't find it anywhere. Maybe my sewing room will finally get a good clean out while I look for it.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Whatever makes you comfortable and happy do it; quilting is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. I admit to having a few "go to" patterns that I make often, especially for table runners and placemats. I happen to really like Contrary Wife, maybe because I am one, but Jacob's Ladder is a close second as a favorite pattern. The thing is you can make the same block look so many ways just by the arrangement of fabrics and color choices. I say do whatever makes you happy.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:24 AM

I love strip quilts, not necessarily scrappy, although some are. But in between, I try some other things, usually things I made up without a pattern. If you like to do the same thing over and over again, more power to you. froggyintexas