Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I do this? >

Why do I do this?

Why do I do this?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 AM

I don't make the same pattern twice. I have to watch myself on shopping for material, patterns, books as a substitute for actually working on a project that has me bogged down or bored. I don't want to collect, I want to make!

But there is nothing wrong with what you're doing.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM

I had never seen Whispered Lace--very pretty!

I let the fabric tell me what it wants to be--sometimes it is a new pattern and sometimes an old one. If the fabric is happy, so am I. The more patterns I look at (and I look at lots!), the more choices I have at hand.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Too many patterns to play with to get in the rut of doing the same thing over and over....but that is just me....I make one, it comes out good, on to another challenge....they are like picture puzzles to me...and I do those only once, if I really like it I will glue it, poster frame it, hang it for several years, then sell or donate it, do another.....
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I do make the same pattern over again especially with charity quilts. I like to be able to make a pretty quilt with an easy pattern. Sometimes I make changes to the pattern. I have fabric pulled to do an adult charity quilt using the Warm Wishes pattern. I am going to make the focus center square 2" larger and kept the cornerstone and fabric strip widths the same. The length of the fabric strip will need to be cut 2" longer Have fun and make some small easy changes.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:10 AM

The only time I do the same one twice is if I gave it away and really liked it.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I often make the same pattern. I just love how different they can look with different fabrics
That's me too. I love Yellow Brick Road, a couple of Jenny Doan's patterns, and a very easy pattern by Amy Gibson. When I have to make a quilt in a hurry, I go to one of those. As Patski said, they look so different in different fabrics. I do try lots of new patterns and have learned much from trying something I had never done before.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:08 AM

I also collect patterns and recipes, but when I make a quilt, I find that most often, I make up the pattern. I've usually goofed up on some detail and I'm too far along to rip-it so I add to the pattern, thus making it mine. When I get my great-nephew's quilt quilted, I'll post it and show what I mean.
All of that to say this....Yes, I make the same pattern over and over because I know the patterns pretty much without having to follow written directions.

Last edited by DebbieJJ; 06-14-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:32 AM

I am guilty of the abundance of books - mags - binders of quilt patterns. I will get books out and go through them while looking at my stash and if a pattern and the fabrics jump out at me at the same time--BAM-- I am pulling fabrics and clearing the cutting table. But I still fall back to my favorite if I have to make a quilt in a hurry.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:50 AM

I do both. The fabric seems to tell me what it wants to be. ; ) None of my quilts look the same since the fabric choices are different. Sometime I just want to do a simple non-think scrappy, just small squares or small tumbers.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

I think I have the same problem Mine is the fact that I don't have self confidence. I just can't picture myself doing a quilt I am not experienced in doing.