Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I do this? >

Why do I do this?

Why do I do this?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:44 AM

I try to never make the same quilt twice..... and mostly I use patterns for suggestions.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 AM

If I need a quilt quick, I will always go to BQ (the original) or Warm Wishes. Four reasons - I can cut either out in a day, sew the next day, have on the long arm by the third day, and sewing the binding on the fourth day. These never go into the WIP stack. They get DONE.

I get such inspiration from all the pictures & patterns that others create that I have a 1 terabyte hard drive half full of creative ideas, and several shelves full of books & patterns. I have found that my idea of what I want to make is changing all the time. Luckily I have the storage space, so will continue to save my patterns for ideas.

I love all the intricate, color filled quilts. I have a lot of those in progress! Got to finish 10 this summer before I can go on to anything new!!!!!

I rarely sew any pattern exactly the way it is designed. Seems I always have to add my own little touches that I see in all those patterns I collect. Those are my WIP's. And I just discovered PP the Judy Niemeyer way. Her patterns are great.

Every quilter is different in what they make and how many they finish, which makes all of us NORMAL. Have fun and just enjoy your way or style of making those quilts. The people who get them don't care if you do the pattern more than once, they just love to snuggle with the one they got.

Happy Quilting!

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-13-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:13 AM

This is your hobby, that you do for fun, right? So do whatever you like! If you get kicks out of making a certain pattern and want to make it over and over, you should make that same pattern over and over, until it doesn't make you happy anymore and something else grabs your attention. Your hobby...your decisions!

Don't feel weird if you think you're doing it differently than others do. Your desires are the important ones for your hobby.

Personally, I really enjoy the quilt design process, so I haven't made the same quilt twice yet. I've made different quilts in the same general style (bargello, for example. Or crazy quilts.) but none of them are really the same. For me, trying new things is what makes me happy, so that's what I do. I'm sure there's a Quilt Policeofficer out there somewhere who would tell me I'd be a better quilter if I stuck with one thing until I mastered it but I don't care, I do this for fun! And for ME, doing something different each time is the most fun.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:13 AM

The only pattern I have made more than once is the Bargello. I like making those with jelly rolls.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:27 AM

My opinion is, if you enjoy it, does it really matter if you make the same quilt over and over? Nope.

A couple of times, I've made a quilt more than once. The Turning Twenty is a really fast, TNT pattern, and it looks different each time I make it with new fabrics. I made a "tissue box" quilt twice in different colorways. And I'm working on my second churn dash quilt because my daughter saw the first and wanted her wedding quilt to be the same pattern, different fabrics.

My motto is, As long as it's not illegal, immoral or unethical, and making multiples of the same quilt pattern is none of those, so go for it!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:38 AM

I also have a favorite pattern, Whispered Lace, that I have made several times; some in similar neutrals but others in bright wild colors. But I am trying to make a new pattern quilt in between going back to my favorite--maybe one of those will become the new favorite? I think some patterns just appeal to us and who wants to spend a lot of time and money on something we hate doing? That being said, however, I do think it is important to broaden our horizons and try to learn new skills, so that is why I alternate with a new pattern at least every other quilt.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:23 AM

I quite often make the same patterns again. I have decided that I am difficult to please, and if a pattern pleases me, go for it! The only time I have a problem with doing the same pattern is if I do two in a row with the same fabric, like I am doing now for twin beds in my guest room. Then I get bored.

Dina
Old 06-13-2014, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I also collect/hoard patterns and magazine ideas. But I do the same thing with recipes. And I rarely try different recipes. But I love to browse the patterns, magazines and recipes. I find it relaxing. So, for me, it's not all about the making!
This is my habit also. Love looking at the amazing quilts that other peeps make and hope I'm that good when I grow up.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Consider you are practicing toward perfecting your technique.
When you feel confident that you have that pattern down, move on to another design with different techniques. You'll grow by doing that and it will help you love quilting even more. I promise!!

Jan in VA
Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM

I try to never make the same pattern twice but if I need something in a hurry will make the Rail Fence. It is fast and easy and everyone looks different because of the fabric use. These work great for charity quilts.