Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine >

Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

Old 11-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyM View Post
I had a little Kenmore sewing machine for years. It wasn't special but it had great tension and I never had a problem with it.

When my mother passed away she left me her Bernina Artisan 180, so I passed on my little sewing machine.

I have had nothing but problems with the bobbin on this Bernina and it making an ugly messy on the underneath side of all of my sewing. I just got done ripping out half a quilt binding I just put on because of this stupid machine. I cannot figure out why it is doing what is doing because it doesn't happen all of the time. I am about ready to chuck it out the window or use it for target practice.

I am thinking about scanning the Sears black Friday adds to see if they may have a Kenmore on sale.
Just a suggestion...you might want to take it a dealer for repair. I would think it would be worth to fix a Bernina.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyM View Post
That is exactly what it was, a top thread issue. I took the machine and sample to the Bernina dealership and that is exactly what she said. It was either because (1) I didn't thread the upper properly (2) the feed dogs/foot was up when I did it, I didn't know that part so it was totally operator error which I am thankful for

I did leave the machine to have it serviced any way so I do feel better. Thank you everyone for listing to me rant.
While I don't have a Bernina myself, I am happy to hear that the problem seems to be solved!! It's so frustrating for us to have these kinds of problems when we're training ourselves on a "new" machine. Here's hoping that every stitch flows smoothly from now on!!
Old 11-28-2014, 02:45 PM

Typically, if you have bird's nest on the bottom, it is probably the top threading. I have had it happen because the thread was catching on a notch in spool. Several other times, I though the upper thread was in the tension discs good, but it wasn't. Another time, a small scrap of thread was in the threading area and caused all kinds of mayhem. And, I do agree with everyone else, some machines don't like certain threads. Some don't like certain combinations of thread, needle and material. Batiks have caused me some grief too. Sewing, when going good is so much fun and rewarding, and not worth a darn when things are going bad. I, also, had a problem when I tried to use an "L" bobbin in a machine that only takes Class 15's. So much fun!!!! Good luck with getting yours fixed.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:14 PM

My Bernina hates Coats & Clark thread, had the same problem as you. Now I only use Gutterman or Mettler and she is very happy.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:53 PM

I would take it and have it serviced. Bernina's are top of the line machines. Yours might not have been serviced in a while, and just need some tlc. I have a Bernina, when I use monofiliment, I don't change anything, tension, needle nothing. I have had my machine over 8 years, sewed on it everyday, and it still sews beautifully!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 04:09 PM

That Bernina 180 is a great machine! If I were your Bernina dealer, I would want you to have a great sewing experience with it every time you sat down to sew. When we get complaints like yours at the store, it's time for a "sit down" with the tech. You need to bring your project to the store and sew on it while the tech is watching, and let them figure it out. It's probably something simple. Those machines are practically indestructable.

When it loops on the bottom, that usually means something isn't right with the upper tension. Or, with rotary hook systems, thread will tangle around the back of the hook and wreak havock with your stitch quality. To find the thread mess, take off the needle plate and look down inside. You can remove the thread with tweezers and a big pin or needle.

The new Kenmores aren't as great as the old Kenmores. Those old Kenmores are jewels! I like to rescue them from the thrift store, service them and sell them. They're worth a second chance.

Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:00 AM

Generally if the mess is on the bottom, it is your upper tension. If you can take off the plate that covers the tension disks, take it off and see if there is thread stuck in the disks. Try different thread, a new needle, Thread the upper tension disks with dental floss and drag it back and forth to see if something sticks like maybe a stray thread. Check all along the way for rough spots. Look over the bobbin section for any rough spots as well. Hope you find out what is causing the problem.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:31 AM

are you using your right foot on the pedal with your knee bumping the presser foot lifter? If you bump the lifter you will get skipped stitches and bird nests, you could try using your left foot on the pedal or taking off the lifter. Love my Bernina (1630) but it is more of a Diva than my Singer 301A.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:00 AM

Bernina 180's are good machines. I would suggest having it serviced. Cleaning and oiling can work wonders, I know, I service machines:-) Getting used to any new machines takes time and patience. Relax and just practice on scraps until you get to know this machine and I think you'll like it.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:13 AM

I have a fancy machine and never knew the bobbin had to go in a certain way, it wasn't in my book - that solved the noise and ripping out! Hope it works for you!