Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is a built in thread cutter worth it? >

Is a built in thread cutter worth it?

Is a built in thread cutter worth it?

Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM

I have Husq's Vikings...I agree get the best now you won't regret it. I started out without allot of the Perks machines offered and in 4 mths found myself upgrading for all the perks. Love my thread cutter which is a button on my machine, needle up and down, auto pivot foot, auto fix at the beginning and end and threader. I recently upgraded again and this machine has a self threads and OMG who knew...I just push a button and it threads on it's own...so no more manually pulling down the threader and pushing the thread thru...soon we won't have to do anything but tell the machine by talking into it and directing it as to what to do... oh my new machine connects to wifi what's next...combo coffee maker/sewing machine.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I have always said soon you will be able to load a machine with fabric, select the pattern from the attached screen and out will come the finished quilt top. LOL When you think about it the machines that do it all now kind of takes parts of the quilt making away. I am not a purist quilter but it does cause pause. The goal is finished product but the fun is in the making.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 PM

I have one machine with a thread cutter, and it Is the one thing that I do miss when using my vintage machines. As for the needle threader, I don't use it and had my machine guy take it off.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-21-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-21-2019, 03:49 PM

I'm another that loves the thread cutter! First one I've ever had and I intend to always have one from now on. Did I say that I love the thread cutter? I have a Juki straight stitch only with the cutter on the foot pedal and a button on the machine. I use it on the pedal. It also has a needle threader that I always use and the up/down button is always engaged. As was said, it came in very handy for paper piecing. I don't use the machine for quilting but I would think it would be handy for that also; not having to go under the quilt to cut the thread. And my quilt tops are so clear of threads when I finish! No trimming of thread tails!
If you can find a machine in your price range, without the thread cutter being extra, I say, Get It. And I also use the knee lift all the time. And it is a first. Boy, am I spoiled now!!!

Last edited by Jaiade; 03-21-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.

I use 1 of 2 machines. One has a threader and thread cutter, other one doesn't have either. Both have a knee lift I never use, both have needle up/down, I could not live without that feature.

Thread cutter cuts thread about 1/2" long, not good for me when I quilt. I never remember not to use it when quilting and looks messy on the quilt back.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM

It's a must have for me.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:07 PM

You're killin' me, smalls! You guys are all bragging about your machines that all have the things I want in a new machine, but none of you are telling me brands and model numbers. Help a sistah out here, lol.
I really want to get one with a knee lift, thread cutter, threader and needle up/ down. Don't worry if its an old model, tell me anyway! I might get lucky in my second hand shopping!!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:25 PM

Sounds like something I would do!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Yes. I had a machine that had one. The computer board on it died, and that was the end of the machine. My newer machine doesn't have it and I miss it with every seam I sew. Needle threader on the other one never worked, but by some miracle I can still thread the needle, even with my feeble eyes!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 PM

To think that all I want in a new sewing machine is and "Undo" button! Think of all the time that could be saved...