Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers >

Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers

Quilter's Select Vs. Creative Grid Rulers

Old 01-08-2023, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
Well, I just ordered a 6 1/2 x 6 1/2" ruler to try one out. Twenty six bucks for that little guy. Figured I'd test the water in small steps to see what I think. Thank you for all your input. Funny how someone's prince charming is someone else's frog.
@Schill93 I just came across this thread again and was curious how you think the QS ruler compares to CG.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
@Schill93 I just came across this thread again and was curious how you think the QS ruler compares to CG.
It is OK, but the lines are not as easy to see with my eyes. I am 80 yrs. old now, and seeing has really become a problem for me. But for younger folks might like it. It does hold fabric well
Old 01-08-2023, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
It is OK, but the lines are not as easy to see with my eyes. I am 80 yrs. old now, and seeing has really become a problem for me. But for younger folks might like it. It does hold fabric well
Sorry to hear that. Do you think some additional lighting could help you? Maybe a table lamp on or beside your cutting area? We have an Ott light that I kept on my cutting table when I had a sewing room. It did help my somewhat younger (58) eyes in reading the rulers. The lines on the QS rulers are very fine, so I can understand that could be a problem.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:12 AM

I have both types of rulers and just took a test on them both. I find the Quilter's Select adhere better as their whole backside has that no-stick surface as my Creative Grid has it around the edge and then circles going across in places. As I find the Quilter's Select on sale and it's a ruler I want to replace, I go for it. I've got my main rulers replaced now, only the special I won't replace as I doubt if I can get them in either brand.

For those rulers I add a thin stream of glue around them and let it dry using a glue gun. This gives some stability and it comes off if you decide you don't like it. A very thin line of glue is best as you don't want it to go wobbly when cutting.

I've used the little sandpaper disks which don't seem to work all that great and a friend mentioned Nexcar tape to use on the back side but I didn't find that worked all that great either.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:11 AM

I started out using regular Omnigrid rulers, and I put no slip film on the back of some, because they are slippery. Then I tried Creative Grids and found they slipped less right from the get go, but still can slip somewhat. A few months ago I bought a Quilters Select 6.5 x 24 thinking that would solve my slipping tendencies. Well it does help in that regard, way better than anything else I've tried. HOWEVER, what makes me crazy with it, is the fact that it sticks so well, it’s a pain in the neck to try and make a tiny adjustment to the position without it moving the top layer of fabric at the same time. I have to completely lift the ruler to make the adjustment. Perhaps it’s just the way I use my rulers, but it kind of makes me crazy when I use it. Also, with the extra half inch on the side, and the markings to measure running in two directions, it’s really easy to get your ruler set up missing that extra half inch amd make a wrong cut. In that regard, I prefer the Creative grids rulers, but like the fineness of the markings on the Quilters Select. Guess it’s what you get used too. So not much help ;-).

Last edited by Kwiltr; 01-15-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:13 PM

Use odif grippy spray on back of creative grids rulers. It makes them non slipping. I would not invest in new rulers when you have great rulers. Also the opacity of creative grids is better than quilters select