How would you do this ????

How would you do this ????

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarthaT
Originally Posted by MTS
Ask MarthaT - she did a two-sided ruffle. Pretty impressive

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123445-1.htm
I cut fabric strips 2 1/2 inches wide of each fabric. But if you are only using one fabric, cut it 4 1/2 inches wide and fold it in half. (This makes approx. 2" ruffle.)

If you want a really wide ruffle, like a bed skirt, you can make it single thickness and finish one edge with a rolled hem.

The length of the ruffle strips should be about twice the total perimeter of the quilt. Sew them together with angled seams so that when you fold it in half the seam will not be so thick. (Unless you are doing only one thickness of fabric. Then use straight seams.)

Run the long entire length of ruffle material through your ruffler attachment, setting it to gather about every stitch (or your desired amount). If you don't have a ruffler attachment, consider getting one! :-) But you can gather by hand...I would end the gathering threads about every yard and start over so you don't have to gather nine yards of fabric by pulling one set of gathering threads.

Place the gathered ruffle on the top of the quilted quilt like you would a binding strip with the finished edge of the ruffle on top of the quilt, raw edge of ruffle along raw edge of quilt top only. Sew just inside the gathering stitch so it will not show. (Ruffle and quilt top being sewn together only, do not include the backing.) I also zig-zagged along the raw edge to help it lay flatter. Then flip the ruffle outward, turning the seam to the inside. Trim away any batting sticking out into the seam to eliminate that bulk being very careful not to snip the backing fabric! Turn the backing fabric under and handstitch in place.

Tip on corners...I think it works best to round the corners and then push the gathers even tighter together so when you flip it out it doesn't cup up, but lays flat.

I didn't think about making a tute as I worked. I should have.
Any questions feel free to message me privately.
Thanks MarthaT ... I will be in touch though ....
The first question I know I have is that I'm having it long arm quilted, so the front/batting/back will be all in one piece. Your size is about what I want ... don't want a huge ruffle, just a gentle one.

And the second question more clarification ... you have joined the strips on the bias, though the strips are cut on the straight. Right?

Thanks again!
and Congratulations on the fun baby quilt!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 AM
MTS
Banned

Thanks MarthaT.

Those are very clear and concise instructions. :thumbup:
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
quilt top facing up,ruffle wrong side up,raw edge to edge of top, then binding on top of ruffle,raw edges match.sew, turn, the binding will have to go all the way over. It won't show at all,and the ruffle will be on the edge of your top, sticking out.
You're so smart! I can see it exactly now. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 AM

Thanks MarthaT ... I will be in touch though ....
The first question I know I have is that I'm having it long arm quilted, so the front/batting/back will be all in one piece. Your size is about what I want ... don't want a huge ruffle, just a gentle one.

And the second question more clarification ... you have joined the strips on the bias, though the strips are cut on the straight. Right?

Thanks again!
and Congratulations on the fun baby quilt![/quote]

I put the ruffle on after I hand quilted it. Should be able to do it after longarming. Keep the quilting about 1 inch away from the edges of the quilt. Sew the ruffle on the top side and turn under and hand stitch the back side.
Yes, the strips are cut on the straight of grain and were joined by laying on top of each other to form and L shape and sew from corner to corner, making a bias joint. Trim to 1/4 inch seams and press open. This eliminates bulk in the seam. (That's where the triangles came from for the doll quilt.)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Thanks All!!!
I'm taking it to my LAQ. She has a bit of backlog right now, and I won't have it back for a month. So for the next month, I'm going to put everything on hold and once I have it in my hands and ready to work with ... then I'll have a better feel for what's do-able ..... and go from there!

And who knows, maybe I'll even make something before then, that I can practice putting a ruffle on ... and a piping edge!