Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on backstitching please? >

Opinions on backstitching please?

Opinions on backstitching please?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 AM

I don't backstitch because it builds up thread in the seam, and will cause some distortion when bringing seams together. If you are conserned, reduce your seam length when piecing, or just at the ends where you are concerned. We I'm piecing I reduce the seam length to 2 from a preset 2.5. I haven't had a problem, but it does make it more tedious to rip if I need to. Can't have both!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
......... The only time I would use a 2.5 would be if I am wanting to take out the stitching!
Piecing for me is at a minimum of 2.0 !!
This has been an interesting subject! And as suspected it seems to be a split of 50 - 50. I guess I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I have found if I put my stitch length down to 1.8 and make sure there is some chain before and after the seam, I can avoid the pulling apart of the seams that can be such a pain. Who wants to restitch the ends of a seam because it has unraveled a few stitches. Those few stitches can equal 1/4 inch. At that rate you aren't stitching across any stitching line at all!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I don't backstitch because it builds up thread in the seam, and will cause some distortion when bringing seams together. If you are conserned, reduce your seam length when piecing, or just at the ends where you are concerned. We I'm piecing I reduce the seam length to 2 from a preset 2.5. I haven't had a problem, but it does make it more tedious to rip if I need to. Can't have both!
Instead of seam length ... I think you are meaning stitch length.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 AM

I don't back-stitch, when piecing, BUT I do shorten my stitch length.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I don't back stitch when I am piecing. Don't know if this is right or wrong but I haven't had any issues with the seams coming apart when piecing the pieces together. My thinking is that there is always an interconnecting seam when blocks are pieced together so there isn't any need for it.
My friend has twin grandchildren who each have a quilt made by their great aunt. She says her sister didn't backstitch, just did assembly line sew and etc. and intersecting seams or not, when those two start pulling and tugging the quilt from the other , she is always repairing pulled out seams. My choice will stay with backstitching, and especially since my first Rail Fence quilt where the seams came unraveled (when I assembly line sewed and cut into segments) when was ready to sew the blocks together.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I use the 1.5 or 2 stitch setting for piecing. The stitches do not ravel out at the ends. I use a thin thread for piecing, 50wt 3 ply thread is too thick for short stitches.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM

I don't backstitch; IMO it creates a lump when you cross seams. I have not had trouble with seams raveling.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 AM

I backstitch at the beginning and end of every seam also.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

My sewing machine comes with the option of making very small stitches at the start and ending of each time I sew. At first I didn't know how to turn it off and it was a hassle to rip out those tiny stitches and finally my dealer showed me how to turn off that option. I kind of miss it because my pieces never came apart before as they kind of do now. I do small stitches...2.0...but if I handle them, the first couple of stitches seem to unravel and I have to restitch them.

I'm thinking about turning the option back on so it will take a few very small stitches at the beginning and end of each time I sew. It only works when I use the thread cutter, not when I'm chain sewing.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM

I used to backtack but I don't anymore. I leave a long sewn string at the end and cut between pieces if I am chain stitching. Otherwise just cut the long sewen string