Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Backstitching on blocks

Backstitching on blocks

Do you backstitch at the beginning and end when you are pieces your blocks together?

I do but when I watch tutorials, it seems alot don't, or just skip that step when showing you how to do it.

Just wondering as I am working on my Berenstain Bears quilt, nope not telling what pattern I picked out. You will just have to wait and see.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Power Poster
    I do not backstitch - BUT I do leave about 1/4 of an inch of stitching/thread at each end of the seam.

Good to know when I forget to backstitch. Thanks.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew

I do backstitch on most all my blocks. Some will tell you its not neccessary. I like too and never have seams come apart in the wash.
    If I was making a wall hanging or other decorative rarely washed , I would skip it.

Most of what I make will be used daily or washed alot. I just like to make sure they are secure I guess. Just wondering if I was being overly cautious.
    Sabrina

I used to do the backstitch thing all of the time, now I just do it sometimes. A few years ago my backstitch button wore out...when I took it in to be repaired they looked at me like I'd grown another head. The shop owner said, "I never backstitch!" And everyone else agreed with her. Made me feel like I was doing something wrong. I still think that it needs to be done. Probably a rule from Home Ec. that stuck in my brain those oh so many years ago...well, at least something stuck in my brain.

Never backstitch? I think that is crazy. At least backstitch on the outer sides of a quilt and binding. I just do it on everything I do.
    Sabrina

Power Poster
    I did learn that if I cut the thread right next to the fabric - that the stitching could pull out easily - that's why I sort of do a 'running' start with several stitches made before the needle hits the fabric and several stitches made after the needle is off the fabric

There is no need to backstitch when piecing your blocks because the stitching will be anchored when another piece is stitched to it. If we had to backstitch for all piecing that would be the death of strip style peicing and you couldn't possibly do a Bargello style quilt, no assembly line piecing ala Bonnie Hunter. I only backstitch when the final outside border goes on at the edge and when I attach my binding and am doing mitered corners.

Blog Entries
    I did back stitch most of the time when doing blocks, now I make my stitching smaller and do not do it as frequently. I drop my stitch down to 1.9 on my Janome 10000. I sometimes use the Janome stop feature, but get impatient with the six times the needle goes up and down.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I do on the edges, and when I sew garments and bags.

I never backstitch. If the pieces that are being stitched together will be stitched to another piece/block, that stitching will hold the seam. I secure my stitches for binding, quilting, etc with 4 or 5 stitches with the machine set at .2, the smallest stitch my machine will allow. The instructorof a FMQing class I took told us to do that. I've never had any of it come out. Not only that, I think it's easier than backstitching. And anything to make my life easier

Blog Entries
    i always backstitch. i wannna make sure my seams have the hardest time of their life trying to come apart.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

It's hard to break the backstitch habit. Even when I'm chain piecing I can't resist taking one little backstitch at the second to last stitch at the end of each patch seam. At the beginning of small pieces, it's harder to backstitch, so I hold my finger on the patch in front of the presser foot forcing my machine to take a couple of small stitches. My quilts get washed several times a month, so I want the seams to stay put.
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    rule of thumb is---if your line of stitching will be crossed by another line of stitching- back/stay stitch is not necessary- if the line of stitching stands on it's own- not crossed (which secures it) then a staystitch should be done- either by backstitching or stitching almost in place for 3-5 stitches.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

With my new machine it is easier. I used stitch #3 which automatically does the first backstitch then I just hit one button at the end and it does the end backstitch. Love that option!
    Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    rule of thumb is---if your line of stitching will be crossed by another line of stitching- back/stay stitch is not necessary- if the line of stitching stands on it's own- not crossed (which secures it) then a staystitch should be done- either by backstitching or stitching almost in place for 3-5 stitches.
    This is how I do it except I also backstitch when sewing rows together. The extra weight & tugging makes the thread start to pull apart and sometimes it pulls down past where the next seam will intersect. I will also backstitch when attaching borders for the same reason but single blocks don't seem to have the problem.
    Beverly

Power Poster
    I only back stitch on the final outer pieces of my blocks. I saw a tip recently that said to start your needle in about 1/4 inch from the edge and back stitch to the edge and then proceed. I like this idea since it keeps the feed dogs from eating the start of the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Nope, I don't backstitch.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    There is no need to backstitch when piecing your blocks because the stitching will be anchored when another piece is stitched to it. If we had to backstitch for all piecing that would be the death of strip style peicing and you couldn't possibly do a Bargello style quilt, no assembly line piecing ala Bonnie Hunter. I only backstitch when the final outside border goes on at the edge and when I attach my binding and am doing mitered corners.
    Yup, this is true. And backstitching just adds bulk from more thread in the seams. I've pieced and quilted for 18 years and have never had seams come undone.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to join the blocks they do not need to be back stitched. I usually don't backstitch

I don't backstitch except at the end of rows. I do shorten my stitch though, it seems to make the seam stronger. It sure saves a lot of time not to backstitch. I have never had a seam come apart, and I've been quilting a long time.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I don't back stitch but I do leave a small amount of thread at the beginning and ending of my seam and my quilts never come apart. What happens when you strip piece squares for 4 patch and 9 patches? Those seams aren't back stitched....
    Bernie

How can you RIP IT OUT if you anchored it in place? I have enough of a time picking out stitches at Janome 1.8 machine setting with that Oh So Cursed Fine thread LOL
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I only back stitch on the final outer pieces of my blocks. I saw a tip recently that said to start your needle in about 1/4 inch from the edge and back stitch to the edge and then proceed. I like this idea since it keeps the feed dogs from eating the start of the fabric.
    That's clever - sometimes even with leaders and with the small hole throuat plate I find a tiny bit can get sucked in
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast