Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Backstitching on blocks

Blog Entries
    I learned the hard way-Quilt seams not happy with No backstitch-now I automatic do it on all my projects and quilts-Safe to do, than be sorry-and with out it when seams did go together they stretched some and came apart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I do not backstitch - BUT I do leave about 1/4 of an inch of stitching/thread at each end of the seam.
    Especially with polyester thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I only back stitch on the final outer pieces of my blocks. I saw a tip recently that said to start your needle in about 1/4 inch from the edge and back stitch to the edge and then proceed. I like this idea since it keeps the feed dogs from eating the start of the fabric.
    This is what my aunt told me to do also..it wasn't for quilting, but sewing other items. It does work..
    Faye

Backstitching and stitch length

It is not necessary to backstitch at the beginning and ending of each seam. When you sew the next piece in place it automatically locks that seam in place. If you are using a smaller stitch length as you sew it also helps. From the right side of your pieced blocks when you pull on the block, if you can see your stitches between the sections your stitches are too long, so just shorten your stitch length and you will have a much stronger seam. I have quilts that are 20 plus years of age that I made and they have been washed and handled many, many times and I have never had a seam turn loose because I learned over 30 years ago that it is not necessary to backstitch. And leaving at least 1/4" of thread at the start and ending of each seam is very good.

Gitlisgal from Oregon

backstitching

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    Do you backstitch at the beginning and end when you are pieces your blocks together?

I do but when I watch tutorials, it seems alot don't, or just skip that step when showing you how to do it.

Just wondering as I am working on my Berenstain Bears quilt, nope not telling what pattern I picked out. You will just have to wait and see.
    No I don't backstitch. I hold a little tention on the fabric and it stitches in place about 3 times which hold just fine.
    Syl
    Syl

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I do not backstitch - BUT I do leave about 1/4 of an inch of stitching/thread at each end of the seam.
    I am very careful to do this also. It keeps the blocks stitched without having to take the time to reverse the machine etc.

I didn't back stitch on the one I just made, & I did cut the tails, so yes I noticed that some of the seams were coming apart. I am hoping that quilting it will take care of it.

Blog Entries
    I don't back stitch, but am sure to use a smaller stitch in general, like a 2.0 instead of the 2.5 used in dressmaking.

I always backstitch when i can - esp when doing Y-seams. I don't like fixing things later.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
    I used to do the backstitch thing all of the time, now I just do it sometimes. A few years ago my backstitch button wore out...when I took it in to be repaired they looked at me like I'd grown another head. The shop owner said, "I never backstitch!" And everyone else agreed with her. Made me feel like I was doing something wrong. I still think that it needs to be done. Probably a rule from Home Ec. that stuck in my brain those oh so many years ago...well, at least something stuck in my brain.
    I always backstitched when making my own clothes, but when I began quilting, I read that you were not supposed to, so I don't.....except at the end of long borders; then I do, thinking I want the extra assurance that it won't come loose when grabbing the edges to move or rearrange the quilt before it is backed and quilted. I assumed the instruction not to backstitch had something to do with bulk when matching seams....but maybe it just had to do with possible ripping out! ;-)

Me, too! I just posted a similar reply.

Blog Entries
    After 50+ years of sewing I do it automatically most of the time.

Blog Entries
    I agree with nhweaver; I drop my stitch length to 1.9 or 2.0 and that holds the seam together better than the default length of 2.5. Sometimes I use micro stitches at border ends to make sure nothing becomes unraveled while quilting.
    Create with joy in your heart!

I agree with you Jennie and Me. I have been sewing for 60 years and was taught to backstitch. Then in H.S. Home ec. backstitching was reinforced. It is hard for me not to backstitch. But all I do is blocks and try to only bs. on the outer seams now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I only back stitch on the final outer pieces of my blocks. I saw a tip recently that said to start your needle in about 1/4 inch from the edge and back stitch to the edge and then proceed. I like this idea since it keeps the feed dogs from eating the start of the fabric.
    I also only backstictch on the outer edges of the quilt. I also like your idea of starting your needle in about 1/4, then backsticthing. I will have to try that on my next quilt. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    I do not backstitch if it will be stitched to another piece. If I feel I need to, I just program my stitch way down at the beginning....this gives a really secure stitch that will not come out. At the end I manually take the stitch down to small stitches as well...haven't figures out a way to program this small stitch on a button.....we sure are getting lazy with all these computerized machines, arent we.....I keep telling my husband, my body and mind are slowing down so I need the latest in technology to work faster and memorize what I forget. Ha!
    Diana in TX
    I love your rationale!

I always backstitch as I have put blocks together and notice some seam is coming apart. It is just easier for me to backstitch and be safe.

When I'm piecing I use a smaller stitch and don't bother to back stitch unless it is on the outside where it's going to get handled a lot before I get the border on, like in a Round Robin.....otherwise, I skip it
    "A true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection!" ... Michelangelo

Power Poster
    I staystitch a pieced outer border to minimize/prevent the seams from coming apart instead of backstitching each seam in the pieced part.

Banned
    I always do when I'm handpiecing. I mean to when machine piecing but often forget.
    It's definitely worth doing - I'm assembling a quilt now - blocks into rows and wish I'd remembered more often.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    There is no need to backstitch when piecing your blocks because the stitching will be anchored when another piece is stitched to it. If we had to backstitch for all piecing that would be the death of strip style peicing and you couldn't possibly do a Bargello style quilt, no assembly line piecing ala Bonnie Hunter. I only backstitch when the final outside border goes on at the edge and when I attach my binding and am doing mitered corners.
    This has been a really interesting discussion. I had never really thought about it - I guess because when I first started quilting I was "told" not to. But now I can justify why I don't do it.

I do, especially on flannel, which I love to work with. I do the back stitch at the 1/4" area rather than right at the beginning of the seam. I just think that with the weight of the flannel, it is better to be safe.

I backstitch on everything!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Even with all the good points made, I still do it. I would rather be safe than sorry. Ya'll have given some great tips and advice though, so thank you!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    There is no need to backstitch when piecing your blocks because the stitching will be anchored when another piece is stitched to it.
    I only backstitch when the final outside border goes on at the edge and when I attach my binding and am doing mitered corners.
    That is what I do too...never backstitch while making blocks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast