Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Backstitching on blocks

I usually backstitch, especially when doing foundation quilting because I know I will have to remove the paper from the back. It just takes a second and after all that work, I'd hate to have my stitches come undone.

I set my machine up so it does it automatically always then I don't have to fuss with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I did learn that if I cut the thread right next to the fabric - that the stitching could pull out easily - that's why I sort of do a 'running' start with several stitches made before the needle hits the fabric and several stitches made after the needle is off the fabric
    This is what I do, too. I do backstitch when I paper piece.

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    Especially with polyester thread!
    Oh true, I can look at that OhSo Fine and if I leave only 1/4" at each end of the piece it LAUGHS at me and proceeds to slip right out, no matter how small a needle I use. I have to sew very close machine stiches.

But I need a little 'give' in the pieces to help my block ease into the right shape, and if I stabilized the beginning and end of each piece, I think that would be difficult.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4