Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Backstitching on blocks

no but i keep my stitch length smaller when piecing too much work to backstitch

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    I don't back stitch but I do leave a small amount of thread at the beginning and ending of my seam and my quilts never come apart. What happens when you strip piece squares for 4 patch and 9 patches? Those seams aren't back stitched....
    Good point!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Backstitch. Home ec indeed burned it into my brain. I know it's not necessary, but I haven't bothered to un-learn the habit!
    ​tea

Yes backing is for garment making. If one uses the smaller or my machine is 2.0 there is a much less chance of it coming apart.

I never backstitch, waste of time and thread for me. There's not a single seam in any quilt that is not crossed by another one at some point, so why bother. When sewing on the binding, I overlap the start and finish to anchor each.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I see everyone's point about not backstitching but my brain keeps saying "YOU MUST BACKSTITCH!" lol. I wonder if I could win the battle against my brain on this one? Only time will tell. lol Now to try to finish up some stitching on my blocks. Almost ready to start the layout of them!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Blog Entries
    No back stitching here. I try to leave about a 1/4 of thread hanging. I hate those tiny knobs the backstitching makes. Have never had any problem with edges of seams opening.

We just started collecting vintage machines and I love sewing with them. But most don't even have a backstitch option. I just use smaller stitch length and start out on a scrap of fabric before proceeding with chain piecing.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    i always backstitch. i wannna make sure my seams have the hardest time of their life trying to come apart.
    I don't backstitch but I often sew the seam twice. I dunno... it just makes me feel more secure because I, too, want to make sure my seams have work to come apart... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I usually don't backstitch but I have been known to pull the bobbin thread up to the where the top thread is and then knot the top and bottom thread. (Long time ago Home Ec.I think) BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I ditto feline fanatic. The next row anchors the previous stitching. I only backstitch the last row.

We were taught that backstitching puckers the fabric and that it is not necessary since the seams are strengthened when you do the cross seams. I've never checked the puckiring bit - just listened to the teacher. I also tend to leave a quarter inch of threads but that depends on the type of thread I use for piecing.

I never backstitch when constructing quilts. But I do when constructing garments and home dec projects.
    Backstitching makes it harder to rip out mistakes, and also adds bulk to seams.

I have just begun a new technique as I finished a quilt because in holding squares to be sewn the ends would tend to separate....Following a suggesting on the board, I am lowering the stitch length at the beginning and at the end of the row. It just takes training to remember to switch but I do like the results. Technique:start at 1.8 and go up to 2.0 til the line reaches the end 1/2" and change to 1.8.

I was taught to never backstitch in my first quilting class. When I read quilting books, they tell you to not backstitch. I did some backstitch for the first time on my blocks this past week when I was putting together a King size quilt. I think the heaviness of the quilt was actually pulling some of my stitches loose. First time that has ever happened since I started quilting. I can't imagine backstitching when doing all of the strip piecing I do. Would take forever. You do what you want to do, there is no quilt police coming to your house !

Nah, I think that the crossing of the stitiching when putting the blocks together is enough.

Blog Entries
    I like to backstitch. I have had them come apart while trying to put the blocks together.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Blog Entries
    My answer is NO

I don't back stitch but I do sew on and off a scrap to lock the stitches better, before I started doing this I did back stitch. I have seen to many stitches unravel when not properely secured.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    There is no need to backstitch when piecing your blocks because the stitching will be anchored when another piece is stitched to it. If we had to backstitch for all piecing that would be the death of strip style peicing and you couldn't possibly do a Bargello style quilt, no assembly line piecing ala Bonnie Hunter. I only backstitch when the final outside border goes on at the edge and when I attach my binding and am doing mitered corners.
    I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    only when I am hand piecing!

I also backstitch for just about everything, probably more out of habit than anything else. I can't wait to see your Bears quilt....I am dying of curiousity!

I do not backstitch if it will be stitched to another piece. If I feel I need to, I just program my stitch way down at the beginning....this gives a really secure stitch that will not come out. At the end I manually take the stitch down to small stitches as well...haven't figures out a way to program this small stitch on a button.....we sure are getting lazy with all these computerized machines, arent we.....I keep telling my husband, my body and mind are slowing down so I need the latest in technology to work faster and memorize what I forget. Ha!
    Diana in TX

I drop my stitch length to 1.5 mm for about 1/4 inch, then increase to standard length of 2.5 mm and decrease at the end of the row to 1.5 mm. I've seen too many rows of stitching pull out to not do this. I stopped backstitching because it can cause the fabric to bunch (not all the time, but sometimes).

SandyQuilter

I never back stitch only use it for garment construction. However I do use a much shorter stitch length 1.5 - 2.0 stitches so not come out unless you take them out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast