Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you have a son who is married....... >

If you have a son who is married.......

If you have a son who is married.......

Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 PM

The important thing here is...How are you feeling about it? I feared I was losing my son somewhat, but it's been 11 years now, my daughter in law is a doll and their two kids have filled my heart to more than ever before. It was rocky at first, she lost her Mom right after they got married and was grieving, she would not let me in at all. But some time passed I didn't push her, she came around and I love her like my own daughter.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM

I was happy and sad.. I was happy he was happy.. I was sad because I know that your access to your son is at his wife's decresion.. I wasn't sure she would want me to be part of their life.. she didn't.. but with love, acceptance, kindness and patience, she has become a sweet part of the family. I had to work long and hard to accomplish what's been done. Now after years of marriage and one sweet baby they are separated. So now I'm sad for him because he's sad. You just never know what's coming tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 PM

The only question you should have to him is "Does she make you (want to be) a better person?" It is not your life or your responsibility any more. You've done everything you could do for him and loved him to the fullest. You've taught him everything you know. Now it is time for him to live his life. You've had your chance. I think we all are a little sad because our job is done so maybe you need to find another outlet for your energy until the grandkids arrive!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:22 AM

I am so happy with my daughter in law, she is a sweetheart and adores my son. I was happy with my older son's wife also. Even though they are divorced now, I liked her and like what her and her family's influence did for his career. Guess having two great mother in laws gave me a model for being a good one.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 AM

My only son married an awesome girl. I'm so happy he has her to anchor his life. She makes him laugh, and she loves him. That's all that I need. There are things I wish could be different (she is a mommy's girl and was way up front with that), but it's not about me. As long as they love each other, I'm good with it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 AM

savedbygrace. your avatar says it all. you will do fine. roll with the punches, duck when you can. steal base, and be a wonderful caring coach. let them make their own decisions, and you be the fill in , but always with love and understanding, because your years of experience has given you the edge.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by labtechkty View Post
My son married a little over a year ago. I love my new daughter, she is the sweetest and could not have picked anyone better for him. Having said that I WANT MY SON BACK!! lol.. I don't think we as mother's really ever get over them leaving home. They think they can even appease me by having my grandson in August! What nerve!! Nope won't work, still want him home with me...lol
As far as the wedding was concerned, I really didn't have much to do other than hosting the rehearsal dinner and show up for the service...
Pretty much the same for me. I love, love my two DILs and couldn't be happier for my sons, but still miss them being at home. I decided early on that, as the MIL, my job was to wear beige to the wedding (actually I wore black, at the bride's request, as it was a black & white wedding) and not to ever give advice unless asked by the DIL. I diligently work to not intrude into their lives, but love our times together.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Love my DIL - although I told my son he couldn't marry her because her name is Shannon - my daughter's husband name is Shannon - so both of my in-laws are Shannon. They get called he-Shannon and she-Shannon.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Default daughter-in-law

My son and daughter-in-law have been married 16 years and have 3 beautiful children. I was happy to see him marry and have a family. My daughter-in-law is a sweetheart and I love her dearly. We get along just fine.

Last edited by luce321; 06-04-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: add something
Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
how did you feel as the wedding was approaching?
I have three sons--all married. My advice to you is to remember your place. Your son has joined his life to another to establish his own home. So I remember that I am the "mother=in=law" and will always try to be there for the couple when they need me, but I do not push into their lives. It is not an easy thing and although I love my DILs I have been hurt sometimes. I took this same action in regards to their weddings. I made it clear that I would do ANYTHING they wanted me to do, but I never gave my opinions or directions. At one of the weddings, I only did the groom's dinner, and didn't even sit in a special table at the wedding reception. But you know, life is too short to bother yourself with hurt feelings, or being upset. So enjoy your new life as a MIL and be a great addition to their lives!