Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt. >

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 PM

I prefer the Mettler TA101 Web Bond basting spray, rather than fusible batting. It works great and has no odor. It was recommended by a teacher for holding layers together in a class I was taking. I now used it on my quilts when I get to the end of the quilting - it's tacky enough to hold, but easy to adjust the fabric if I need to.

I used fusible batting once when I did a watercolor quilt and it gummed up my sewing machine.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:30 PM

I heard the suggestion of nail polish remover and highly advise you to not use that on your quilt. Nail polish remover will at best take the color out of your quilt and possibly also weaken the material. I don't know about paint thinner so I won't comment. Anything you try, I would first attempt on a scrap piece of fabric. It's to bad this happened. I hope the representative at June Tailor is successful.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
It is June Tailor batting from Hobby Lobby. I contacted someone there(at June Tailor). She suggested having it dry cleaned and said she would reimburse me in products from their website. And would also replace the roll of batting. Um. Don't think so. I have no intention of taking the chance with that batting ever again.
I'm going back to pinning. Which is too bad, because my husband just finished making me a work station that has an ironing surface large enough to accommodate a child's size quilt. It was so easy to fuse. I knew it was too good to be true.
What about GooGone? Would that work?
I don't know about GooGone for this purpose, although it has worked wonders for me may times in other situations. Ithink you willhave to have your quilt dry cleaned after using GooGone because it can leave an oily residue. However, I hate to see you give up on fusible batting. What happened to you is an anomaly not likely every to occur again and fusible batting makes quilting small projects--baby quilts, table runners, etc., so much easier. And it sure as the world beats spray adhesive. I hope you find a solution soon. froggyintexas
Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 AM

Try to find the basic ingredient that is in the glue so that you can find the solvent. If it will not cause further damage to the quilt, you could use that. If that attempt fails, take photos of the quilt in its present condition and write a polite but firm letter to the manufacturer and include any receipts when you ask for the refund.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:25 AM

Hi sval, don't go back to pinning, use Elmers Washable Glue the kind the kids use in school, it works great. I delute mine a little bit & put it on with a paint brush on only the batting sparingly then place my backing on and turn it over and do the front works great
Old 03-14-2014, 03:39 AM

Hi Judi,
That's what I'm thinking of doing. Will it work in a spray bottle diluted with water? I read that somewhere.
Right now the plan is to mail the blasted quilt to June Tailor and let them try to get it out. They're covering the shipping both ways, but in the form of credit on their website. Do they sell anything I want? At first she suggested replacing the batting. I firmly told her no I would never use it ever again.
Right now I'm questioning my whole reason for quilting in the first place. Apparently I attract "lemons". My Janome I bought back in the fall has issues. (floor model) And doesn't do all that it advertised. So I have way too much machine for my purposes. I just need a good sturdy machine that sews a great seam and has a needle threader.
I only sew quilts for the Children's Hospital and Quilts of Valor. All my beds are covered and most of the walls. So I struggled with labels on the printer. And then tried to set up a little webpage to go with them. In case someone who received one would like to contact me. But that was and is so frustrating when you're not computer savvy. So today I'm ready to throw in the towel. So when/if I make another quilt I will give the Elmer's a try. And thanks for posting.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:38 AM

The fusible batting seems to be too stiff for regular quilts. Great for placemats, fabric bowls, boxes, etc. Just a personal preference. I didn't like the Elmer's washable glue. I did a 50/50 solution. Perhaps will try again with perhaps a 60/40 solution. I did put it into a spray bottle. Perhaps I didn't have the spray stream correct.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:43 AM

Don't give up!!!! Start with the quilt and send it back to June Tailor. There are other things that she makes, maybe a
batting without fusible. How long have you had your machine ?Even if it was a floor there should have been some warranty. Call Jenome and tell them what's going on, even a floor model should be working right. Be assertive you spent alot of money and deserve to be treated better. If all else fails tell Jenome that you will tell ALL your quilting friends what a lemon you got. I was in Paducah 10 years and sat down by 2 older gentlemen. I wasn't listening to them but all of a sudden I heard one of them say "Did you ever think women would have this much money" as 4 women walked by with their sewing machines and bags on a suitcase trollies. You go girl!!!! Hit them where it counts
Old 03-14-2014, 05:54 AM

Neece: thanks for the pep talk. I've been round and round with the store where I bought it and also reported them to Janome. They said they would get in touch with the local representative. I never heard a thing from that person, if they exist at all.
I've only heard good things about Bernina. And more importantly there is a fabulous LQS close by that carries them. So in 7 minutes when the store opens I'm going to call and ask if they will take it as a trade in. Of course I can't tell them the problems I've been having with it or I won't get what it's worth.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:07 AM

I've been using GooGone for 40 or 50 years (has it been around that long?). Just three days ago, I used it on the sleeve of my good blouse. There was a spot of what seemed to be tar. I have no idea where it came from, but it was a really black spot. I put just a few drops of GooGone on it and in about 30 seconds was able to scratch the tar off completely. Then I put a few drops of soap on it and scrubbed a little; rinsed that off and put it in the wash. (The directions on the bottle say to wash it out before putting in the wash machine.) Blouse is as good as new.