Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help--Dear Jane bleeding >

Need help--Dear Jane bleeding

Need help--Dear Jane bleeding

Old 05-24-2021, 04:59 AM

Default Need help--Dear Jane bleeding

I just completed my Dear Jane quilt that I made a block a day during Covid. I always prewash my fabrics, but some unwashed scraps must have somehow gotten in. I used 2 color catchers when I washed it in cold water, and at least 2 blocks bled, as you can see from the photos. The ivory colored borders also have areas with some tinges of blue, and the color catchers were thoroughly purple. I was thinking I would try washing it again with 1/2 dozen color catchers, but I can't think of anything else to do. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails quilt.jpg   bleeding-1.jpg   bleeding-2.jpg   bleeding-3.jpg  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:16 AM

Carol, first off congrats on your finish! I'm working on DJ too so I know the work you have invested. Google "save my bleeding quilt" for instructions on getting the bleed out. Blue Dawn dishwashing liquid will do the trick for you. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2021, 05:26 AM

What a beautiful quilt!! It is the nicest Dear Jane I have seen in a long long time! The only advice I could give, is to take it to a laundromat and use their biggest machine with a handful of colour catchers. I'm sure someone here will have better advice for you.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Carol, that is stunning! Oh my, you did a marvelous job. I think the Dawn is a great idea also the color catchers. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Noooooooo! So sorry this happened to your awesome quilt! Washing again in cold water with more colour catchers and dawn may help.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt, I hope you can get the bleed. Would oxiclean help?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:05 AM

How much Blue Dawn should I use in the washing machine? Will it cause a suds overflow?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:41 AM

I use the oxiclean sticks that are a gel, I let it sit for a bit then rewash in cold water and its always work well for me. I had a few batiks bleed on my Frolic quilt and it took it right out.
Beautiful quilt! Congratulations on your finish!
Old 05-24-2021, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

If one googles:

blue dawn fabric bleed removal

one gets quite a few topics to look at.

Vicki Welsh has a blog that many have found helpful

https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/sav...g-quilt.html#/

Good luck.

I have learned to soak my new fabrics in hot water for at least two hours before washing them - gently - in cool to warm water.
I had a blue and red - that I had washed "quickly" - bleed when I sprayed sizing/starch on them.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:01 AM

Perhaps it is because I am a beginner quilter--but since this was your Covid Quilt I would leave it just as it is. I understand being upset---I would be too. You put so much work into it. But Covid-19 is a time like no other. The years of 2020/2021 will remain years like no other. Perhaps you could look at it in the cup half full, and that this will truly be a quilt that is like no other. A quilt that despite your pre-washing your fabrics it took on a life of its own. Perhaps over time it will fade and just be seen as a part of a bigger accomplish--Living through the Covid-19 Pandemic and creating a beautiful piece that can be handed down to other generations with a story literally written in the history books. I have had to look at many things this way lately. Just a thought. It is beautiful whatever you do with the blocks with character.