Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting? >

Quilting?

Quilting?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

My sister and I saw one in a show and the information card said that the lady had used 3 MILES of thread! That is way past my comfort zone. I do moderate quilting on mine.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 AM

I, too, am a fan of minimal quilting. I fact, I have become a fan of tied quilts.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 AM

We all have different tastes. My taste runs toward simple, and I like quilting designs that complement instead of compete with the overall quilt design. I prefer modern over traditional. I especially like straight, geometric designs, sometimes dense in places. I'm personally not a big fan of feathers, though I have seen a few quilts where they do enhance the design. I think elaborate quilting designs are beautiful on whole cloth quilts. I would never post a picture as an example of what I don't like because I don't want to hurt any feelings or argue. There's room for all of us, and variety is what makes life interesting.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:18 AM

I like to see the artistry in the heavily quilted quilts, but I grew up with hand pieced and hand quilted quilts. I just SID or outline stitch my own quilts. I used to tie them so they'd get done. I currently have one at the LAQs and it will have a great deal of quilting on it. After that, I should know which I prefer. Neither is better. It's just what a person likes. And thanks be that we all don't dress the same or drive the same color car! Just sayin'!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I am in awe of some of the heavy machine quilting I've seen on Pinterest and various blogs, as a representation of the extraordinary skill of these quilters. These quilts strike me as vehicles to display this evolving art of machine quilting. I just hope that all quilts will not start being judged according to this developing aesthetic, which shows what is possible with the amazing machines we have available today, and more simply quilted quilts be found lacking because they are not as heavily or as diversely quilted. The main thing, I think, is that the quilting enhance the quilt. Sometimes that will mean more and fancier quilting, and sometimes not.
I don't see this trend reversing, but I could be wrong. If there is a segment that is adamantly against heavy quilting perhaps you can lobby your local venues to add another category like minimal quilting or something. I go to every quilt show I am able to and I know that where I live the best of show categories always have applique. If I want to win something like that I need to learn to do it well. The top winners at national shows often say they work a year on a quilt so I doubt they are going to do less quilting or less work.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by tkee View Post
We all have different tastes. My taste runs toward simple, and I like quilting designs that complement instead of compete with the overall quilt design. I prefer modern over traditional. I especially like straight, geometric designs, sometimes dense in places. I'm personally not a big fan of feathers, though I have seen a few quilts where they do enhance the design. I think elaborate quilting designs are beautiful on whole cloth quilts. I would never post a picture as an example of what I don't like because I don't want to hurt any feelings or argue. There's room for all of us, and variety is what makes life interesting.
You make a good point about posting pictures. My frustration is the blanket statements not just in this thread, but in previous discussions where people state that the quilting overwhelms the piecing, etc. Quilting is part of the design and some people choose to do more than meander. To make blanket statements smacks of the quilt police that we all say we don't want around.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:46 AM

I think that LAQ has exploded in the quilting world so dramatically that those who have those machines use them to the fullest, and sometimes to the extreme, just because they can, and it's faster and easier than on a home machine. It IS beautiful, but I agree, sometimes overdone. But to each his own, and if you get a quilt LAQed, you can certainly request less quilting if that suits you better. That's what I do - I generally choose the designs that are the most open and airy, and have been well pleased.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 AM

Although I fall on the side of quilting to enhance a pattern rather than to overwhelm the pattern created by the color and pieces, I can also see the value of the "heavy" quilting that seems to be the trend currently. I have seen many quilts with heavy, intricate stitching that makes shapes and colors pop. I am sure that with use and washing even these heavily stitched quilts will relax and bring all the warm snugly comfort of a stitch-in-the-ditch, hand quilted or a general meandered quilt would give. A large part of the softness and coziness comes from the love and caring put into the quilt and the process used by the maker. We are all beautiful individuals in our choice of patterns, colors and yes, our quilting style too. Out diversity of thought and process keeps our craft alive! Everyone.... quilt on and on and on.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:59 AM

I think quilting like anything else goes in cycles like clothes as for me I prefer the traditional not artsy or heavely but that seems to be the style now and also everything is for speed all microwave quilting for me it is a relaxing hobby but that is not for everyone maybe it is my age but I feel we are in a world where people does not know how to relax they are always in a rush so guess maybe the computer age----it has even taken over a hobby
Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
My sister and I saw one in a show and the information card said that the lady had used 3 MILES of thread! That is way past my comfort zone. I do moderate quilting on mine.
The quilt I posted has a bit more than that in it. I used two 1,000 meter spools and 1 5,000 meter cone. 7,000 meters = 4.3 miles That doesn't include the thread used for piecing, binding, or the water soluble thread used for the trapunto/applique. (It was not done on a long arm.)