Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
November - Scrappy Block Swap – Florabunda aka Jacobs Ladder in Florals - Bonnie Hunt >

November - Scrappy Block Swap – Florabunda aka Jacobs Ladder in Florals - Bonnie Hunt

November - Scrappy Block Swap – Florabunda aka Jacobs Ladder in Florals - Bonnie Hunt

Old 11-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT View Post
Well I stopped off at JoAnn's after work to pick up some pale yellow tone on tone. Not a bolt in the store! I started at the yellows, went to the other end of the store where I found a "dirty" yellow. That will work until I opened it up and figured out the dirt was actually part of the pattern. Checked out the Red Tag material. No luck. Went back to the yellow section and stood there like an idiot starting at the fabric like a pale yellow on yellow was going to magically appear. No luck.

I left with some Christmas fabric to use as a backing for my Secret Santa box.

Now I'm home . . . drinking wine.
ROFL at this, I've done the same thing. You stand there and stare, like it will appear cause you know it just has to be there.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Jane, I will really have to look at my stash. I don't know if I have yellows at all. I think I have some florals. I have time. Will let you know. It is a beautiful quilt, and yellow was the perfect choice.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:18 PM

arizona kat glad you found some yellow and I'm toasting you...raise your glass of wine 'cause I have Kahlua on the rocks, cheers malady!
Billi not sure what Jane is looking for so she would have to answer your questions. You wanted an honest answer so I will open mouth and insert foot probably, but "for me" they would be 2 different quilts. I don't think the one with all the cherries would be considered floral though. The other 3 with that same era of florals would be fine. Just my opinion and Jane should answer you not me. Don't want to hurt feelings, just getting tired of some not answering honestly and then having a bi---. I don't mind, I'd make 2 different quilts and wouldn't combine them as the "look" is totally different.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:20 PM

terriamn, sorry forgot to tell you !Happy retirement!!!!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
arizona kat glad you found some yellow and I'm toasting you...raise your glass of wine 'cause I have Kahlua on the rocks, cheers malady!
Billi not sure what Jane is looking for so she would have to answer your questions. You wanted an honest answer so I will open mouth and insert foot probably, but "for me" they would be 2 different quilts. I don't think the one with all the cherries would be considered floral though. The other 3 with that same era of florals would be fine. Just my opinion and Jane should answer you not me. Don't want to hurt feelings, just getting tired of some not answering honestly and then having a bi---. I don't mind, I'd make 2 different quilts and wouldn't combine them as the "look" is totally different.
JABA Thank you,
Your honest opinion is exactly what I wanted no hurt feelings here. I prefer to be given an honest answer up front instead of being bi/@%=d about later in private. . . So I'll take that trip to the lqs and paw some beautiful fabrics and agonize about only choosing a few instead of buying all of them.

Terriamn congratulations enjoy your retirement. . You will have lots of time to join swaps now. .
Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Please wait for someone else to answer you, don't do this on my account. I actually am using the fabrics that I originally tried collecting for the flowers from each state, or guess it was called State Flowers Fabric Collection. Sent them out for the boomerang this time around and have not received them back yet. Still had a bunch of different florals left, knew I'd never use them again, so just thought "why not"?? I have plenty if you need them...would be glad to share. Think I went crazy on E-Bay and forgot what I'd already bought, imagine that huh?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Billi -

Good question. My first thought on your fabric pics is all but the one w/ the cherries. Then I looked closely at the various Florabunda quilts online and actually found a variety of small, medium and larger scale floral prints. I think the question really needs to be answered by your fellow swappers so I'll pose the question to the group:

Do you want a variety in size of floral print (sm/med/large) or do you want more medium to med/large scale floral print? Either way is entirely fine with me!

Here's our update:

1. Janice – 6 sets
2. Libster – 6 sets
3. Sunrise450 – 6 sets
4. Urgodschild2 – 6 sets
5. Hobo 2000 – 6 sets
6. ArizonaKat – 6 sets
7. Billi – 6 sets
8. Terriamn – 6 sets (maybe)

Jane
Old 11-05-2014, 03:48 AM

IMHO, I feel that as long as it's floral, and as long as it's TOT, I say use it. In the long run, when you put all these together the will blend. If I was hesitant about a choice, I would look at the pics of what people are using and then see if my choice would blend well with them. Not everyone who does swaps are able to jump to LQS to grab something only for the swap. We are all grown people here ( I think-right?) When I receive blocks back from the swaps, I go through them. Some make the cut, some don't. It doesn't matter cause that's not the intent , at least to me, what these swaps are. To me it's been a wonderful way to talk , listen, consul each other. To me that it more important in these swaps, then whether or not "her" block" blends with the rest. I have a box of blocks and things that one day will be a very scrappy quilt, it will be called my reject quilt. But it will also be a reminder of all the swaps and quilts that I've worked on, and in the end it will probably be my favorite one. so IMHO, I hope I answered the question.
Now to Jane, I don't have one TOT yellow. I do have some florals. So if I'm able to get some TOT's I'll join, but till now I'm following the thread to listen, hear, and kept abreast of what's happening to my on-line friends.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 AM

Well all fair answers, truth is what you see here is the full extent of my possible florals and there is probably not a total of 1 full yard so regardless I will be shopping. I knew that going into this swap, florals have not been something I purchased for my stash.

My preference after finding more quilts to compare. I found that the ones with a variety of all three sizes small, med and med lg, with the majority seeming to be of medium prints appealed to me the most.

Jaba I can't wait to play with your state flowers again the ones from the boom swap were soo pretty.

Grannie Rose I like your outlook open mind and heart and eventually a quilt of misfits I have been part of very few swaps so my box is small I think I will also save them and make a very scrappy nonsensical quilt and I will call it my quilt of misfit toys.....still lovable just a little off kilter.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 AM

If it were me, I would go with all sizes of FLOWERS. Either way is ok though. Just need to know.

The pale yellow has already kicked my butt. :-)