Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My doctor told me today not to use lotion >

My doctor told me today not to use lotion

My doctor told me today not to use lotion

Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 PM

I use vasoline on my hands goop them up just before I go to sleep then I put white gloves on and sleep that way
Old 12-18-2011, 03:58 PM

The Dr I used to work for told me that Vaseline is better for dry skin and to put it on before you go to bed even on your face and lips in the cold and put socks on your feet so it doesn't get all over everything. The cold weather is hardest on our skin and then diabetes and other things. He said a lot of lotions have alcohol or something like that and it makes it drier. Good luck with it helping the body and it's probably cheaper than all the lotions we use. Sue
Old 12-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Default Dry Legs

When I broke my ankle and had a cast up to my thigh, I had a real problem with dry skin after it was taken off.
NOTHING would help it till I met an old cowboy in the Doctor's waiting room. He'd broken many bones and knew
what I was grumbling about. He told me to wash my leg in hot water and then while the skin was still wet, to rub
in a large amount of plain old Castor Oil. It did help a lot and shortly my skin was back to normal.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by the old one View Post
Also, if the smell does not bother, Vicks Vaporub on the feet at bedtime, and a pair of not-elastic white socks will help big time. Takes a few days (or nights), not a quick fix.
I use Mentholatum.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Our doctor told us to use Eucerin CREME or Vanacreme but they, too, are quite greasy and require socks or gloves. We are not diabetic, though, but for those who do not have diabetes, this might be some good info. She (Dr.) told me to even use it on my face instead of expensive facial cremes!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpee View Post
Please try this. I am a diabetic also and I have really soft feet. 1 large jar vaseline, 1 large baby lotion, 2 jars of vitamine E save lotion. You can get the cheap stuff at Dollar General, but I do buy the good Baby lotion. This stuff smells great and works wonders. I have been making this for years. You just empty all the jars in a big bowl and mix really good. You can use the empty bottles to put the mixture back in and even put it in pretty jars. I hope you try this. Let me know.
I made a big batch of this last year & gave it to my Sunday School class - they loved it. I like to melt vaseline in an egg poacher then dip my fingers in and rub it on my face, legs, etc. Feels soooooo good.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 AM

I seen the Melalueca product, Renew, was mentioned and I have found it to be wonderful for dry skin and cracked lips or fingers in the winter.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:05 PM

I wear wool socks and the lanolin helps my feet. I use lotion but only after I shower and my feet don't seem too dry. I'm also a diabetic and really try to watch and make sure I don't have any problems with my feet.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 PM

I have tried several of the products mentioned and finally found the one that works for me at the quilt show in Houston last month. After I got home I also saw it in my LQS. It's made by a beekeeper and is beeswax - or has beeswax in it. I put it on my scaly feet for 2 nights and they were almost completely soft and healed. I also use it on my hands every day. You put it on it the morning and it feels a little sticky for 2 or 3 minutes and then you cannot tell you have it on but your hands stay moist all day even with washing them.
http://www.thehoneyguy.com/Waterbloc...Cream-Page.htm

I am not affiliated with this company. Just a very happy customer!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 PM

AquaFor is a good one too....a thick petroleum jelly type but with something extra in it. It helps me more than vaseline.