Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My doctor told me today not to use lotion >

My doctor told me today not to use lotion

My doctor told me today not to use lotion

Old 12-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Im sorry this isnt about feet or legs, but thought some of you might like to know. My sister had a mild stroke at age 58 Her Dr. told her no more Perms. That your body absorbs those chemicals. Hope you dont mind the change of subject. I apologize if I have upset anyone.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sweetpee View Post
Please try this. I am a diabetic also and I have really soft feet. 1 large jar vaseline, 1 large baby lotion, 2 jars of vitamine E save lotion. You can get the cheap stuff at Dollar General, but I do buy the good Baby lotion. This stuff smells great and works wonders. I have been making this for years. You just empty all the jars in a big bowl and mix really good. You can use the empty bottles to put the mixture back in and even put it in pretty jars. I hope you try this. Let me know.
I love this lotion I got everything at the Dollar General Store
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Vaseline is made from petroleum, crude oil. Putting it on your skin to be absorbed is like drinking or eating it. Sorry, not for me. I cannot think this to be healthy.
That's what I was thinking too. I try very hard not to use anything made from petroleum since everything is absorbed through the skin. Olive oil, Vitamin E oil, cocoa butter, etc for me. I cannot use lanolin darn it Best thing there is just about.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 AM

I would think that this is because the Vaseline keeps your natural body moisture in your skin and does not allow it to evaporate, thus keeping your skin naturally softer. Personally, I am a barefoot gal -- no shoes and never any socks, but lots of lotion.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Quench made by Oil of Olay is the best for anywhere on your body, especially feet. It soaks right in and doesn't leave a greasy feel. Once or twice a week on my feet is all I need in our dry MN winters.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:10 PM

Bert's Bees Footcare. a tube of it lasts a long time, can be purchased at WalMart, and does wonders for my diabetic feet. Vaseline is a petroleum product, the idea of rubbing oil like that on my skin....ewww.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:17 PM

I use the same stuff like Seweetpee. I've used this for a very long time. Same stuff. I buy my Vitamin E creme at Wal-mart. Mix with a beater really hard. Makes 6 jars of creme. Very good.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks for this great insight. I'm passing it along to my DH who suffers from dry feet also. I don't have that problem, but I moisturize in the shower. What I do is save those little bottles of hair conditioner you get from hotels and use them as a last rinse in my shower. Makes my skin soft and smooth all over. Be careful though, it can get slippery in the shower.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I too am diabetic and have neuropathy. I just about always wear socks and good athletic shoes..or some type of crocs on my feet. What a time I had learning how to sew with shoes on. I ALWAYS sewed barefoot!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 PM

I use TriDerma, foot healing creme, (diabetic safe) on my heels daily and haven't had a crack in a year. I use to mix vaseline intensive care lotion and castor oil together and wear socks. The TriDerma works much better. I got it at the grocery store pharmacy. They have several lines, like for bruises etc. I love this stuff.

But I like sweetpea's idea as well.