Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!! Is there a Step 1? >

Help!!! Is there a Step 1?

Help!!! Is there a Step 1?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post

Edit: You might visit your local thrift stores to see if they have any sewing machines. One word of caution, make sure it works before purchasing. Ask to try the machine before buying. At least plug it in and see that it runs. Make sure it has the bobbin case. You could even take along some fabric and thread and sew a few lines. New doesn't always mean better. Many of the vintage machines will out sew the newer models. Some on this board have found real gems for very little money by shopping thrift stores.
I found a really neat Kenmore with attachments in a cabinet at a Habitat for Humanity (thrift-style) store for $50. I had to work a little oil into the joints to get it running again but I love it and the cabinet makes a nice smooth surface to sew on. I have other machines but this Kenmore continues to be a favorite. :-)

Mary
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM

Hey Craftyperson - you can probably tell that a lot of your responders would love it if you lived close by. I think the best thing you could do is find a patient and enthusiastic mentor. You might be able to find someone through church or school. I learned to sew in 4H club when I was your age... Do you have that in your area? I've been quilting for two years now and everything I learned was from books and the people here on the QB.

Everyone gave you lots of good advice. One other source for inexpensive sewing machines, supplies and fabric is too visit garage and estate sales. Vintage sewing machines are wonderful and can often be found for Very little money... We have several we picked up for under $15 that only needed a good cleaning and oiling (the old manuals tell you how to do this and dozens of people here in the vintage sewing machine section would be happy to guide you.

The last thing is that sometimes folks here post "Pay It Forward" or PIF items in the sale section. You could keep an eye on those. Then someday when you are more established, turn around and pass the PIF to someone else.

Congratulations on beginning this wonderful adventure!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM

I got into quilting by accident. I wanted to socialize so I took a beginning quilting class when I was beginning to learn to sew, it was after my beginning sewing class.

The class was for a sampler quilt, and I use it as a wall hanging over my bed. I really enjoyed it, and here I am! There is a lot to learn on this board, and everyone is really nice if you get stuck (ask how I know...)

I only sew on the machine, and got a great deal on ebay. I have a lot of admiration for people who sew and quilt by hand, but I don't have the patience for it. I get tired of my projects by the time I'm done sewing them, lol!

Good luck, you'll have fun!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Hi CraftyPerson, welcome and G'day from Australia. You have already taken Step 1 and 2, Step 1 you were interested enough to find out more information about your chosen craft and Step 2 you have joined this board.

The tools I used for my very first quilt was a pair of scissors and a needle, as well as the fabric and thread ofcourse, and some cardboard (old birdthday cards and Christmas cards). The design I did I now know as Grandmother's Flower Garden and the method is English paper piecing and all hand sewn. You only need small scraps of different fabrics and you don't need to have them all at once, so you can buy when you can afford. "Google" Grandmothers Flower Garden and click on images and have a look at all the different combinations that can be achieved with just one shape.

Keep a check on your local newspaper or other media for Quilt Shows in your area, these can be a gold mine of information, you usually have a large collection of stall holders all with different ideas,and the quilts that are on display will give you a bucket list that will keep you quilting for years to come.

Please let us know how you are progressing, maybe with pictures of that progress along the way.

All the best.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyPerson View Post
Thanks everyone. When I said I do crafts I meant knitting, crocheting, origami, bracelet making, and things like that. The only time I ever sew is with yarn and a yarn needle on my crochet projects. I am 13 and I don't make a lot of money. Haha. I could maybe get some books if I come upon some extra cash now and again. With my busy schedule, I don't know if group type classes are the best. I was going to ask for a sewing machine for my birthday in April. Is it bad for a beginner to machine quilt? Any sewing machine recommendations?
Go to your local library and look for beginner quilt books. No charge!!! Your local Wal-Mart's sell Brother sewing machines. They are excellent sewing machines. Start off small and have fun!!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM

Check Joann store locator.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM

Well, looks like you have gotten some really great advice. . . I like it all. As a beginning quilter, I can only welcome you and encourage you to jump in and have fun. Keep reading the QB - because it is full of some very experienced quilters with fantastic info. H A V E F U N !
Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 PM

Go to a quilt shop and see if you can get Alex Anderson beginner book on quilting. It is one of the best I have read.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Hi Crafty Person:

Welcome and congratulations on trying to expand you horizons by trying your hand at quilting. I, too, was an avid crafter at your age. There have been some great suggestions made here already for you and NO it's not bad for a beginner to machine quilt!!!! Are you kidding? I'm 70 and machine quilt. My carpal tunnel won't allow me to hand quilt any longer and machine quilting is totally acceptable.

To get yourself started I like to suggestion of cutting a few squares (or circles if your brave) and layer some flannel or an old blanket between the squares and try your hand at hand quilting by just doing straight lines like graph paper. You can bind it with seam binding if you know how OR you could sew around the edges with right sides together and turn it right side out (like a pillow case) BEFORE you "quilt" it. Then you don't have to try sewing on binding.

There's nothing you can do that would be wrong.....only a learning and design opportunity.

GOOD LUCK and Happy Stitching!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM

Crafty, welcome to the Board. You will find some wonderful mentors ready to help you with your adventure in quilting.

The teacher with Craftsy.com who taught the 2012 Block of the Month 'club' learned to quilt when she was 13.

Craftsy.com has a 2013 Block of the Month 'club' or group. It is free of charge, as is the 2012 which is still available. I would encourage you to watch and follow the 2013 presentation first. The teacher gives lots of basic quilting and sewing information.

Remember that pioneer ladies didn't have all the fancy tools that are available today. Improvise to get the desired results. The tools will come in time. Scissors = rotatary cutter Needle and thread has never changed. Hand stitch or use a sewing machine.

Keep us updated and thanks for posting.