Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!! Is there a Step 1? >

Help!!! Is there a Step 1?

Help!!! Is there a Step 1?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 AM

Yes Yes, Yes, - Step 1 is getting this book by Harriet Hargrave & Carrrie Hargrave: Quilter's Academy Vol. 1 - Freshman Year - A Skill-Building Course in Quiltmaking. ISBN # 978 1 57120 594 0
Available at Amazon.com. I have her entire series and start with page 1, chapter 1 and just go though it page by page. It teaches you everything, and I do mean everything. Well written. Easy to follow. Excellet results Welcome to quilting. It will give you a lifetime of pleasure and satisfaction!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 AM

Our grandmothers didn't have fancy tools or patterns. Just cut out same size squares to start and sew them together in a pleasing pattern. As you get into it, you will get more diverse in patterns. A sewing machine is a great birthday present!! Have fun!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure you have clothes in your house your family doesn't wear anymore. Cut those up into squares or shapes using templates and start hand piecing them. Templates can be made from milk cartons. Fabric doesn't have to be all cotton to use for a quilt. A hand pieced quilt will give you a head start in the learning process. Where there is a will there is a way.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 AM

Welcome from Long Island! I am self taught....I poured over library books to get started. Perhaps you have an aunt or grandma with a bit of sewing experience to start and share this journey with. Maybe one of your friend's moms sews? Ask in your circle of friends - you never know from where your 'quilt-buddy' will emerge...keep us posted!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 AM

Hey Crafty Person, good for you. Question: will you be using a sewing machine or by hand? If a machine your first assignment will be to sew two pieces of fabric together with a 1/4 inch seam. Master that first. I'm a quilt instructor who specializes in beginner quilters (piecers). A piecer is one who makes the blocks, squares, top etc. A quilter is one who puts the 3 componets together the 3 pieces are 1. the top 2. the batting 3. the backing putting these 3 together is call the sandwich. Most people who "quilt" do both. Now, if you'd like you may send me a PP and I will attempt to help you along the way the all the jargin. But, as many have said here there are many really good videos. Check out Craftsy.com they are having a BOM (block of the month) it's free. the instructor is very very good ( I took a class from her in the 90's) she leads you along step by step.

The only thing I would caution you about is using a rotary cutter. I would really recommend you find someone who uses a rotary cutter reguarly and have them teach you how to use the cutter and how to square up your fabric. When I teach this class I charge a person $0.25 each time they do not close their cutter after use - it sure gets the message across because you have to train yourself to close that cutter - after all it is a rolling razor blade.

Good luck I know you can do it it's a wonderful craft that will last you a life time.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 AM

Have you talked to your parents about 1 sewing and 2 being on the forum?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 AM

Step 1. Go to your local library and check out some basic books on basic quilting.
2. Browse through them
3. Read the one most appealing to you very carefully, paying particularly attention to how to prepare for quilting for the first time and how to do cutting.
4. Then get out some material and practice a simple block, consisting mainly of squares or rectangles. The book you chose will show you how to do this step for step.
5. Then add the sandwich as recommended in the book and practice simple straight line quilting.
6. Finally, once you have mastered these basic step how to cut, piece, sandwich and basic quilting then you can decide if you want to invest in a quilting mat and rotary cutter and ruler.
7. Also use this board, the advice you can get here is invaluable.

This is the process I followed teaching myself to quilt exactly 1 year 4 months ago. In the meantime I have completed several quilts, totes and many other projects. I just love it. I did not get the quilter supplies like mat, etc until 4 month after I started my exciting journey into quilting. I wanted to be sure that it was something I really wanted to do before I invested money into it.

Most of all enjoy your journey, believe you will love every minute of it.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Glad to see you are willing to ask questions and learn new things. You have asked some good questions. When you start to sew , don't get discouraged if things aren't prefect. We all have had that happen to us. I also taught myself to quilt. Along with this site and the wonderful smart people on here. I am teaching my granddaughter to quilt. She is 12. She has made a dog quilt. The best of luck to you.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

step 1... keep it simple! I would recommend you check for a beginner's class. In our area classes are offered through our parks & recreation department. Find an easy (simple) pattern whether it be a block or an entire quilt. If you can find another person to share the experience with... all the better. I have been crafting, sewing and quilting for over 40 years and still like to have a pal to go to for support, clarification, etc
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM

Welcome. You might check at your church to see if there is anyone who can help you to get the basic idea of sewing. Also u can use old cotton clothing which is still in good shape. Good place to look is at garage sales.