Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!! Is there a Step 1? >

Help!!! Is there a Step 1?

Help!!! Is there a Step 1?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
First, take a deep breath--if you're like all of us on here you're in for a great journey. I'm self-taught, long before internet videos. If I were starting out, I'd go to the library and find a book on Beginning Quilting and read it start to finish before I jumped in sewing. A basic book would tell you about the supplies you need, how to pick a simple pattern and how to chose fabric. Start small!! And please start!! You will find lots of lessons here and you can always ask any question, and remember we all started out without knowledge. There are no stupid or silly questions.

Start slow and enjoy the journey--it's not a race to see how many quilts you can make. It's to see how much you enjoy the process.

Good luck!!
Well said
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Welcome to the world of quilting and quilts! There are so many choices to make and directions to go. You will find some great advice and help here on this board. No matter what you decide to do quilting really requires few rules since every time you turn around someone is doing it different. However accurate cutting and sewing 1/4" seams are a must. Then pressing your seams no tucks or folds every thing must be perfectly flat. I like rail fence as a first timers pattern. There are lots of tutorials and u tubes available for that. I wish we lived closer I would love to quilt with you. Make sure your sewing machine is clean and in good working order with a new needle. Hope to see pictures of your progress posted here. My grand daughter is 13 as well and she has made 2 quilts so far. You can always hand piece until you get a sewing machine. Draw your sewing line on the fabric and do a very short running stitch. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Step 1: Go to the library and get several books on quilting, read them all. Find out what appeals to you.
Step 2: Pick out an easy quilt like a 9 patch or a 4 patch, look at the tutorials on this board how to make them.
Step 3: Buy some fabric of good quality: Hobby Lobby or Joann's or even Walmart that you really like.
Step 4: Look for coupons for 40% off Hobby Lobby in the newspaper: buy a ruler, rotary cutter or mat with these.
Step 5: Using a book from the library, start cutting your fabric according to directions. Watch the fabric grain lines.
Step 6: Sew seams using less than a 1/4" seam and then press the seams to one side before sewing over them.
Step 7: If you want a quilt, read the rest of the instructions about the quilting/sandwich process.
Step 8: Relax and enjoy this whole process the rest of your life.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I agree that you need to go to a local quilt shop and talk to someone there. They can show you what you need to begin. Then you can get lined up with a Sampler beginning class. In the mean time, ask around your family and friends for a sewing machine. People here sell fabric very inexpensively.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM

Well we all have rulers and rotary cutters and cutting mats. They aren't necessary but they make cutting out your blocks so much easier. If you don't have a machine you'll have to hand sew. Not many of us do this anymore. So start off hand sewing first. You tube has videos. Then make something simple like a potholder using a four patch ornine patch pattern. As I tell all the beginners I have taught......the one thing that never changes in quilting is an accurate 1/4 inch seam. I can't stress that enough especially as you gravitate to more complicated blocks.

So go find an old cotton shirt, cut it up and practice your hand sewing.dont use a knit or t- shirt. Too stretchy and hard to sew. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Go to the library for books.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM

Your first step is not to over think it lol. Kind a nice easy quilt there are a lot out there some look hard but when you see how the block is done it not all that bad. gl
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CraftyPerson View Post
Thanks everyone. When I said I do crafts I meant knitting, crocheting, origami, bracelet making, and things like that. The only time I ever sew is with yarn and a yarn needle on my crochet projects. I am 13 and I don't make a lot of money. Haha. I could maybe get some books if I come upon some extra cash now and again. With my busy schedule, I don't know if group type classes are the best. I was going to ask for a sewing machine for my birthday in April. Is it bad for a beginner to machine quilt? Any sewing machine recommendations?
Someone else mentioned Craftsy classes. They have two Block of the Month (BOM) classes (one for 2012 and a new one for 2013) and they are free. You learn a new block each month and you watch the video whenever you want and as many times as you want. You learn how to cut and sew each one and at the end you have a quilt top. The last class shows you how to put it together. It would be perfect for your schedule and budget. Have fun.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM

let it be known at church that you want to learn to quilt and sew. If your church is anything like ours, some kind older person will have a sewing machine that they aren't using. i have several since i have 5 daughters and i bought used ones at Thrift stores and sewing machine stores for them. Your grandma's foot pedal machine if she has one, works great for quilts. i went out and found one just to have something when the power is out.
now i wouldn't give up any of my machines unless i knew the person was serious, so be prepared to learn that someone might want to have you come by their home to learn to test out your commitment. i started young and did things by hand. Learning how to keep small regular stitches for hand piecing helps when it comes to small stitches for quilting as well. Start with a pot holder or more fun, a cell phone case or laptop case. You can find patterns free online for those.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Welcome to our little world. Ask for gift cards for your Birthday from everyone. You may get many that way & will start you out nicely for getting the supplies you want or need. I would suggest a 6X24 inch & a 12 1/2" square ruler, cutting mat, rotary cutter & a good pair of scissors. Oh yes, & a seam ripper is a must also. You can do almost anything with these supplies. Just be aware that at some of your quilt stores, they will try to talk you into buying lots of other supplies that are a waist. The 12 1/2 square ruler, you can use to cut all other size squares. You can find anything on line. By all means, keep coming back here & we all will be tickled to help get you started. I started out with used clothing & old blankets for batting & sheets for backing. I have also used sheets for my background fabric in my quilts. Just remember not to let anyone tell you there in only one way to do quilt. Everyone has there on way doing it & you will find what works best for you. Good luck & we are all behind you.