Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you say to requests.... >

What do you say to requests....

What do you say to requests....

Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I would simply say that you are already so over-committed with your own quilts that you would not be able to make them for 2-3 years or more, or simply state a figure that you know they would not pay, although they might surprise you. I understand your reluctance since you are not that close to your step sister, as I only make quilts for a handful of very, very dear friends and our bi-annual family reunion quilts. Just don't be afraid to say no.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 AM

I don't know what to say to family, because tell them it will be a long long time before it would be done. I do get them done eventually. For others I say I won't sell you one but I might give you one someday if they are really good friends. For others I say I am too committed all ready. Diane C
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Do you think this just may be her way of trying to get closer with you? If you think so, then have her check out the fabric store prices for all the supplies you would need & let her know the price of the quilts would be at least double that for your time & labor. That would give her an idea of what they would cost to have made. Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Jim

I'm sorry but I have too much going right now.

I have too many orders right now.

Any answer is good ...I have a niece who wanted a wall hanging....who said "I want you to make you to make it because it will be so much more special but I found it online for $60. I responded you better get it from them because saving that much money will be more special .

some people think that because you quilt ..you sit down and 15 minutes later its finished. And of course because they are so special...you'll just gift it to them. HA

Right now I am working on 4 quilts for a friend. She died at 52, last month, autopsy showed no reasons for death. She had bought fabric for her 3 children a quilt and a friend. She and husband have been friends of ours for over 30 years. I will gift these to them as a token of her love to them. No Charge. Because I want to not because I was asked. But to some people including family members I wouldn't make them a potholder.

Last edited by Jim; 01-21-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Tell them you "have commitments that make it impossible at this time". Your commitments are your personal business, no further explanation required. It may include a long soak in the tub, watching endless hours of TV, or making quilts you want to make.
I like this answer!

this is one reason I wouldn't make a quilt for pay, if I don't like the pattern or fabrics, I would have no interest or desire to make the quilt, it would become a drudgery and maybe even cause resentment.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

My answer is usually "get in line, right now I am running about 2-3 years behind on commitments." This is usually accompanied by a wide grin to emphasize that I stand behind my procrastination. If you don't really care for these people you could ask them why they don't just go buy one.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 PM

That's backward thinking. If I wanted to get to know someone better "I" would make something for "her"...NOT ask "Her" to make something for "me"...let alone TWO somethings. NOT the way to start a relationship.

Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
I agree with dunster. This may be her way of trying to get to know you better and have a nicer relationship with you. Only you can decide what you want to do. BrendaK
Old 01-21-2014, 02:59 PM

I take it that you don't WANT to make it. In that case, simply be polite and tell her that quilting is your hobby and you don't do it for others.

I will never have a niece or nephew. Instead, when my cousin's ex asked if I could make a quilt for their daughter, I just told her I would make a pinwheel or star quilt (sent her links so that she could see) and how much fabric she needed of the main plus complimentary fabrics. I had HER buy the fabric, batting and thread. I told her that I will be doing a simple meander because I'm pretty good at that and it will be done more quickly. I had twin sized quilt top done during the week and it took me a weekend to quilt it. Then 3 days to make binding and bind. All of this was done while listening to audiobooks, so it was like an non-effort. Believe me, you do a lot to grease the family wheels, if you can reasonably do it. I happen to like my cousin's ex too, which helps. Their split up was because he's a jerk.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 01-21-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
If I wanted to get to know someone better "I" would make something for "her"...NOT ask "Her" to make something for "me"...let alone TWO somethings. NOT the way to start a relationship.
Good point.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 PM

I think this can be a big problem for quilters, and saying no gracefully isn't always easy. Somehow those that don't quilt think it is very easy to whip up a quilt for them. I have found pointing out a store that offers quilt classes or having them look in their area for quilt classes saying it is a very rewarding hobby and telling them how much they might enjoy making them sometimes slows an asker down. But sometimes it is just a kind thing to do and in a way when someone asks for one of your specialty quilts it is a compliment and shows that they admire your work.